From: Vit Vomacko <vomacko@××××××.cz>
To: gnap-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gnap-dev] student application/ideas for SoC 2008
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:18:14
Hi, nice to have some feedback :)
> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:37 +0200, Vit Vomacko wrote: > >> My name is Víťa Vomáčko (maybe some letters are strange to you:), 21 >> years old, from Czech Republic >> > > Nice. I'm from germany, but i have some friends in Czech Republic. I've > been on a trip to Prag, Brno and Vsetin last month. > >
I live in center of Prague, have windows/no linux/ to Jewish cemetery:) So let me invite you for a beer, or two, or more:))
>> I have some ideas, based on José Alberto's, Philipp Riegger's and mine, >> as a newcomer (may not be suitable for project, may be too long term ). >> So please tell me what seems to be good and what is totally rubbish:D >> >> * bug fixing (less bug, will report; cdrtools collision, a lot of >> bugs opened) >> > > This is great. I've been looking for a new bug fixing release for a long > long time. > > >> * wrap,router board enhancements ( i will have direct access to it) >> > > This sounds great. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, i've always > wanted one of these toys! > > >> * glsa checks for your overlay (to be sure, that there is now >> critical security bug in your gnap devices) >> * overall upgrade of gnap core (new snapshot, gnap core..., move to >> gnap 2.1 release and continue) >> * interactive setup ( to be even easier to use for beginners, >> answers some questions and build what is needed) >> > > I was always thinking about stabilizing the non-interactive part more, > but i'm looking forward to hearing your ideas. > > >> * CLI (inspired by vyatta project, would be nice to share code, >> provides great management ability) and web interface for basic >> changes (networking, firmware upgrades) (definitely try to use >> and edit code from other similar projects, use existing frameworks) >> > > Do you know Mikroconf, which has been written for last years SoC? It's > not included anywhere, i think, but it sounds promising. Flexible > modular design,... >
Yes I took a look at it and it looks interesting, I would try to make it "more standarized", it would be nice to use it with (become part of ZONA) or Rancid. But it's difficult to estime needed time.
> >> * unionfs, support (I know that second guy would like to work on it) >> > > With this you mean: / on squashfs, writable with unionfs and some local > storage? > >
Yes something like that, it would greatly move our project!
>> * live formware upgrade >> > > Ca you elaborate on this? Are you talking about the whole image, only > applications on it, upgreade with or without downtime? > >
Downtime would be probably needed for core system upgrades, but applications could be upgraded without it.
>> * use new catalyst (don't know exactly problems connected to it) >> > > Mostly, that portage has to be newer than the one in the current > seedstage shipped with gnap 2.0. > > >> * extensions installation made easier (maybe to have basic >> extensions available on the internet and automatically get them) >> > > Prebuilt, or config files? Well, for routerboards and maybe x86 prebuilt > could make sense. >
I thought about prebuilt, in cooperation with live upgrade, would be a cool feature.
> >> * look at cross compiling ( I have some experience, so know that its >> difficult, so sth.that could be done in shorter terms) >> > > That's what i did not have when i tried it last year. I would really > like to read your suggestions on this. > >
This will need a lot of digging into it...
Wow fantastic to here about this kind of help, hope to work on it and collaborate! -- gnap-dev@l.g.o mailing list