From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:34:21
1 Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > Xavier Neys wrote:
5 >> I posted a few comments with screen caps at
6 >> http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/wwwredesign/
9 > This is 11 points, I'll address them in order:
10 >
11 > 1.1 previously fixed.
12 >
13 > 1.2 changed it to 6 news items.
14 More than 2 is better IMO. Thanks.
15 You did not answer "Why use a morenews.xml that requires a DTD change to add a
16 new ID even though that attribute is no longer used anywhere else?"
17
18 I prefer a list of links to older news just like on the current site, but
19 obviously not crammed in the left margin anymore.
20 I you choose the "more news" approach, fair enough, but why use an extra
21 /main/en/morenews.xml file with an extra ID that has to be defined in the DTD
22 even though those IDs are not use anymore and extra logic in the xsl?
23 All you need is a "?newsitemcount=20" link.
26 > 2. This design/layout does not lend itself very well to font resizing.
27
28 Fair enough. It feels weird that some much emphasis has been put on
29 accessibility but a site that does not allow visually-impaired users to grow
30 their fonts is OK.
31
32 > It has layered divs that are fixed sizes in order to make it look good
33 > at the default font.
34
35 How do you know what the users' default font size is?
36
37 Pumping up the font to 120% ("Larger" in IE) at
38 > 800x600 is still a good layout. It's only when you size the font higher
39 > than that or make the window smaller that problems occur. At just a few
40 > pixels wider than 800 you can pump the font up to 150% ("Largest" in IE)
41 > without breaking the layout. Is anyone really going to be looking at it
42 > at such huge font sizes with such a tiny window?
43
44 That tiny window was 860x894
45
46 > 4.2 The nav bar is within the /xsl/handbook.xsl file. I was told not to
47 > touch that file. I take your suggestion to change the nav bar as
48 > permission to touch it now. Swift, if you still want me to not touch the
49 > handbook let me know and I'll drop in the unchanged one. I have started
50 > experimenting with how to make that nav bar better, if anyone has any
51 > ideas let me know.
52
53 Improving could be done, simply removing the <hr>'s is not an improvement.
54 Anyway, this should not be a requirement to more on with this project IMO.
55
56 > 5. fixed (I think). What do you think of those?
57
58 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4
59
60 2nd & 3rd level title look better.
61 I can't say as much of the top titles :(
62
63 BTW, numbered chapters in the handbook index would be better IMO
64 (http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml)
65
66 Besides, guides start with an unordered list, book chapters start with a
67 numbered list. Neither has any "Content" title.
68
69 Wkr,
70 --
71 / Xavier Neys