From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Update of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:37:44
1 On Wednesday 23 November 2005 15:39, Aaron Shi wrote:
2 > > I should have said that the last update was not complete as
3 > > far as design was concerned. I was mainly looking for
4 > > accessibility and rendering issues on as many browsers/OS's
5 > > as possible. I got that feedback and fixed the issues that
6 > > came up. I also implemented the rest of the design so it
7 > > should now be more visually appealing and better match Aarons
8 > > reference design. I took into consideration all of the
9 > > suggestions that were submitted and now ask for additional
10 > > feedback to ensure that my changes didn't introduce any
11 > > additional rendering/accessibility bugs and that the design
12 > > is acceptable to as many people as possible.
13 > >
14 > > If there are no more outstanding issues reported I will
15 > > submit this current layout for approval.
16 >
17 > Sorry, but this looks worse. The colors (other than what's in the
18 > original graphics) are way off. I'm going make a wild guess that an
19 > uncalibrated LCD is being used to view the site. Many panels are not
20 > capable of the full 16.7 million range and uses dithering techniques to
21 > emulate the other colors. So in reality, the colors when viewed on
22 > proper LCD and CRTs are slightly off (but all the "off-ness" in colors
23 > adds up and the combined effect is quite obvious).
24
25 I agree, the reference still looks better. And indeed an LCD is not really
26 a good judge of colors.
29 > > Any issues with the
30 > > infinity symbol should have been addressed a year ago.
31 >
32 > Amen.
33
34 Could you anyway make a version where the infinity symbol is made by
35 clipping two "oh"'s together. I would like to see how they visually
36 compare. I find the infinity symbol to be dissonant towards the "gent"
37 letters.
38
39 > The reference I made, after listening to comments on the forums, etc.,
40 > is what I believe an improvement to the original submission. However,
41 > the live site right now, while the backend is perhaps implemented with
42 > improvements, the frontend (the design) is a deterioration. I
43 > understand there are technical limitations to what's possible. I've
44 > worked with CMS's and combining backend with frontend etc., but it's
45 > about injecting data into the design; not the other way around. This
46 > is usually done after reference templates are done and "locked," and
47 > the final output of the injection effort is usually very close to the
48 > references templates. The Gentoo templating system seems to be such a
49 > way that everyone working on this project, Curtis and myself included,
50 > have to work contrary to normal processes in order to force things to
51 > work.
52
53 At the time, the design was approved understanding that it would be a
54 guide towards the final looks. Not an absolute this and nothing else.
55 Further the designer (Aaron) was encouraged to participate in
56 implementing his design. Partly to make small improvements, and to fill
57 in the design where it was missing. As such I fully believe that the new
58 reference could be used as basis.
59
60 > If you look at all of the professionally designed sites on the
61 > Internet, I bet they're using a font size similar to what's in the
62 > reference templates. The reality is, most people are _not_ on 1600x1200
63 > resolutions and the font used in the live site is just plain huge. I'm
64 > using 1280x1024 and it's still gigantic! (All of my browsers' font zoom
65 > is default.) Even mozilla.org's fonts are about half the size of what
66 > we're using. Looking at other "modern" open source sites, freebsd
67 > (nice facelift), fedora, etc. none of them are using fonts as large as
68 > ours, not even close. The browser's zoom capability is really a
69 > double-edged sword...
70 >
71 > That said, all the "reading/content" fonts are controlled using 1 value
72 > in global.css, change font-size in body and the whole site will change.
73 > The "reading" font I'm referring to is specified for the real
74 > substance on the page that people want to read, i.e. the content. The
75 > philosophy is that content "reading" fonts can be larger or flexible
76 > (hence I put in the font-size adjuster so people can increase/decrease
77 > the content font size and have that remembered in a cookie). However,
78 > fonts that are an inherent part of design should be congruent with the
79 > design itself.
80
81 I agree, I think that the main text size should be taken from the browser
82 settings. Those are normally reasonable (smaller than wwwredesign) AND
83 what the user prefers. The text zoom function is just a kludge around
84 sites that have been wrongly designed. The font size of menu items could
85 be set, but body size shouldn't.
86 >
87 > Green vs. yellow:
88 > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/problems/greenvsyellow.png
89 >
90 > Pea Green (top) vs. Live Site Green (bottom):
91 > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/problems/greentest.png The bottom one
92 > hurts doesn't it?
93
94 Yes it does.
97 > > The "Locator" would require rewrites of not only the XSL but also the
98 > > actual xml files and is outside the scope of this project.
99 > > Touching any
100 > > xml content file is strictly off limits, all existing xml should be
101 > > backwards compatible with the new design. This point is not
102 > > debatable.
103 > > Use of a database would make this task easier while allowing
104 > > backwards
105 > > compatibility but it will have to wait for a future update to
106 > > the site
107 > > to be implemented.
108 >
109 > Fair enough.
110
111 I think the design should be made to include a locator when given in the
112 page. I would think something like adding an optional "<parent>" tag to
113 the DTD. The DTD would then query the parent for it's parent
114 (recursively) and display that parent, and then this one. (Creating the
115 path). It would be compatible with existing pages, while still allowing
116 forward progress. I see no reason why it would be impossible to change
117 the DTD as long as current pages are still supported.
120 > > The contents of the uppermost menu are to sites that are outside the
121 > > www.gentoo.org website. They will stay in this location. They
122 > > are green
123 > > to contrast with the purple background to ensure that colorblind and
124 > > other visually impaired people can see it. Green is the compliment to
125 > > purple so I am baffled that people think the combination is not
126 > > attractive. In Aarons preview the light purple color of these
127 > > links is
128 > > not visible to color blind individuals thus it is unacceptable. This
129 > > color will not change.
130 >
131 > The contrast between the purples should be enough, the lighter purple
132 > is roughly 2x brighter than the darker purple. The green makes it
133 > standout too much, especially the live site green. It's distracting.
134 > Originally, this element was intended as an indicator (to complement
135 > the locator) of the Gentoo network site a user is on. If we come back
136 > to asking the fundamental questions, by looking at any given page do I
137 > know where I am? After browsing around, am I still on the same sub
138 > site? Or have I gone from main to planet to bugs to ...? I understand
139 > this is a lost cause, but it's good to know that a "locator" of some
140 > sort is being considered for the future. Breadcrumbs have been a rather
141 > standard feature since the late 90s.
142
143 And I see no reason to not implement them (as above).
144
145 > > Graphics should be implemented in the CSS as much as possible to aid
146 > > future maintenance (the xsl templates are huge and not easy
147 > > to maintain.
148 > > The least amount of editing of these files as possible is one of the
149 > > major goals). In text browsers that can handle graphics but don't
150 > > support CSS the upper left logo (which is a background image
151 > > so it can
152 > > be put in the css) will not appear but will leave space for
153 > > the missing
154 > > background image. I can't figure out a way around this. If you have a
155 > > suggestion I would appreciate it.
156 >
157 > I tried to do everything in CSS, which is why having a printable
158 > version of the site
159 > (http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepageprint.html) is easy. Nothing
160 > is changed. No CSS files are changed. The _only_ difference is that
161 > the print CSS file is added to the end of the cascade, so that the
162 > print CSS rules overrides certain elements we want to redefine for
163 > print. Basically, with the logically structured HTML, we can change the
164 > design a whole lot without touching the HTML simply by manipulating the
165 > CSS. I.e. I had in mind different themes and elements for xmas,
166 > halloween, etc. and only an extra CSS file is required to add the
167 > changes (without touching the existing CSS files).
168
169 Besides the fact that I agree with this, it is also the way that things
170 will go in the future as propagated by the W3C. And indeed, css should be
171 used predominantly for the design.
174 > > Horizontal scrolling of the entire page when a code listing is wider
175 > > than the page only happens in IE. All other browsers
176 > > understand the CSS
177 > > scroll:auto tag and will only scroll the actual code listing.
178 > > The same
179 > > applies to inline images within the page contents. IE is broken but I
180 > > did everything I could to make it behave the same as other browsers.
181 > > This is one issue that IE is simply broken on and there is
182 > > nothing I can
183 > > do to fix that. Javascript fixes are available but the use of
184 > > Javascript
185 > > is strictly forbidden. Javascript is not debatable.
186 >
187 > I think this problem was fixed in my reference page, some googling
188 > uncovered the solution (http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepage.html).
189 > If in IE, scale down the window, the scroll bars will automatically
190 > appear on the code listing when necessary. It behaves identically as
191 > in Firefox etc. I'm not too sure what you mean by the inline image
192 > problem, can you explain (maybe a demo is easier)?
195 I see no reason why javascript could not be used to circumvent the
196 behaviour of certain (enumerated) broken browsers. Normally working
197 browsers do not use the javascript and would look exactly the same with
198 or without javascript enabled. The broken browser looks properly (or as
199 proper as possible with the broken behaviour) though.
200
201 > > The site is not XHTML it is HTML-4.01 Transitional and it
202 > > passes the w3c
203 > > validator. Manually overriding HTML-4.01 Transitional in the w3c
204 > > validator is not required and any errors that it reports if
205 > > you do this
206 > > will not be addressed. If you can come up with a good
207 > > technical reason
208 > > why doing this would benefit anyone I will address it.
209
210 Why not implement either html-4.01 strict, xhtml-1.0 (transitional or
211 strict) or even xhtml-1.1. All are compatible with browsers that
212 understand 4.01 transitional. If possible xhtml-1.1 would encertain that
213 the layout and structure of the pages are properly separated.
216 > The differences between the two specs (at least HTML 4.01 vs. XHTML
217 > 1.0; -- 1.1+ is another story) are not really that significant. I
218 > don't see why we can't switch to XHTML unless there are inherent coding
219 > in the system that we can't mess with.
220
221 I don't see it either. I also don't see why transitional is needed when we
222 have such a tightly controlled source language. None of the pages
223 actually contains actual html, so having the stylesheet support xhtml-1.1
224 (has no transitional version) should be straightforward.
227 > > Navigation and useability studies are beyond my scope. These issues
228 > > should have been addressed a year ago.
229 >
230 > I tried to address those issues (with pages of explainations etc.), but
231 > my suggestions were completely ignored. Hence, I won't say anymore
232 > about this.
233
234 Please still give your suggestions. I think it is important they are
235 properly performed.
238 > > The left hand navigation column is dead. No amount of beating
239 > > this dead
240 > > horse will resurrect it. The jumppads will remain at the bottom and
241 > > appear on all non-documentation pages so that those links are
242 > > accessible
243 > > as much as possible.
244
245 Don't be so thickheaded.
248 > We can also make additional jump pads if necessary. I only did 3 for
249 > the sample.
250 >
251 > > In Aarons preview the search box and the ads column are placed with a
252 > > Position:absolute and has it's size set. At resolutions below 800x600
253 > > this makes the ads overlap the content and the search box overlap the
254 > > box to the left on every browser. When content is scarce the
255 > > ads overlap
256 > > the footer. This is not fixable given the current state of
257 > > css support
258 > > in the various browsers. After many many many long hours of
259 > > research and
260 > > experimentation I decided that we would have to resort to a table for
261 > > the ads column and include the search (now donate) box within the div
262 > > that contains the four purple boxes with a % width to fix
263 > > this issue. I
264 > > lowered the % width of the donate box and increased the
265 > > others to bring
266 > > it more inline with Aarons original design. It's not perfect but it's
267 > > close enough.
268 >
269 > It looks fine at 700x500. Even smaller at 640x480, it's still ok.
270 > This is because there's a min-width rule specified for the content
271 > area. Modern browsers should respect this rule (IE doesn't, but
272 > Firefox, etc. and Opera are fine).
273
274 Actually it is easy to even make IE do such a thing by introducing a
275 "strut" and having a proper overflow behaviour. A strut is an invisible
276 element that has the minimum with required and as such forces that this
277 is the minimum.
278
279 > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/problems/700x500ref.png
280 >
281 > Speaking of lower resolutions, the author credits takes up the entire
282 > screen (http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/problems/700x500live.png). I
283 > originally thought about doing it this way, but after trying with that
284 > same author list it didn't seem right. Hence the design was reworked
285 > to use the side bar, as old Gentoo site does, for author listings. It
286 > seems to work better.
287
288 Probably right. I think that some flexibility is good.
289
290 > The side bar overlapping the footer when there is minimal content is a
291 > known issue. It's not as if we have the handbook in the footer. ;)
292 > The alternative is to have the footer block the bottom of the side bar,
293 > but the implementation is much more convoluted that it's not worth it.
294 > On the other hand, the side bar in the live site stops abruptly if the
295 > content is long. If content is the main focus, does it make sense to
296 > show a whole page's worth of white space just so the sidebar can
297 > display entirely?
298 >
299 > > Accessibilty guidelines say that all text links should be
300 > > underlined. I
301 > > made an exception for the grey menu bar for aesthetic
302 > > purposes but will
303 > > not make an exception for any other links.
304 >
305 > My thoughts exactly, although the author list is missing the
306 > underlines.
307
308 I think that the browser preference should be used. Most browsers
309 underline by default. But if users prefer links not to be underlined, why
310 not respect those users.
311
312 > In my own site logs, Netscape 4 still out numbers IE5 for Mac (go
313 > figure). It's a simple cost/benefit analysis and in the end is it worth
314 > it to support such non-standard-compliant browsers? What message are
315 > we sending? --- we try to accommodate a few at the cost of the
316 > majority?
317
318 That's why one should use javascript to enable hacks to work around such
319 broken browsers. Most users get the full behaviour, and the broken
320 browser gets slightly degraded, but controlled behaviour.
321 >
322 > Background should remain white, it's much easier to work with. To make
323 > it easier on the eyes, just lighten up the text a little (i.e. so it's
324 > not black on white which is high contrast but high contrast also
325 > strains the eyes after prolonged reading). I used #515151, which is
326 > 81% gray. The other point for not having colored backgrounds is that
327 > it looks particularly bad on laptops running on battery. When the
328 > screen dims when it's not on AC, it's all over.
329
330 Also I find that the purple background on the live site makes the site too
331 purple.
332
333 > > *all extraneous information and decorative news headers were removed
334 > > from the front page to help readability and to bring focus to the
335 > > information. This includes the cow image and text.
336 > > Overwhelming amounts
337 > > of information on the front page should no longer be a problem. This
338 > > also brings the jumppads closer to the top so new users will
339 > > be better
340 > > able to spot them.
341 >
342 > If decoration is used sparingly, it's great. If we want to be purely
343 > information based, and ignore appearance and marketing, we could go
344 > text only.
345 >
346 I agree, we should use the decoration where not superfluous and where
347 there is space. If the decoration causes space issues, it can be
348 reconsidered.
349
350 Paul
353 Paul de Vrieze