From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: [www-redesign] Search bar proposal
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:46:16
1 Seen Curtis' blog today... nice to hear there will finally be a
2 search thing on the redesign.
3
4 So, i have some code to propose for that feature, that i had
5 already mentionned on getoo-dev@ last time it was discussed, but
6 that i have reworked a bit since. It is here in action:
7 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoosearch/
8 With the code actually in a JS file:
9 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoosearch/GentooSearch.js
10
11 The idea is to have a text search field (sure...) plus two levels
12 of select menus to target the search. The second level depends on
13 what was selected on the first:
14 * Website (using Google):
15 -> All www.gentoo.org
16 -> Documentation
17 -> Projects pages
18 -> GWN: Weekly News
19 -> GLEP: Enhanc. Prop.
20 -> GLSA: Security Ann.
21 -> Dev. Handbook
22 -> The Doc
23 -> Dev. pages
24 * Forums (using phpBB):
25 -> All
26 -> ...each individual forum...
27 * Mailing Lists (using GMane):
28 -> All
29 -> ...each ML which has GMane archives...
30 * Bugs (using the bugs.g.o):
31 -> All bugs
32 -> Open bugs
33 -> Closed bugs
34 * Packages (using packages.g.o):
35 -> All (there is not much to refine here)
36 * Wiki (using gentoo-wiki.org):
37 -> English wiki
38
39 It now has support for I18N, which allows adding/removing/renaming
40 some options of the 2nd select menu depending on the browser
41 language. For now, i've used that for french only, in order to:
42 - rename some entries, like "All" becoming "Tous"
43 - for "Website", add a search for all french pages of www.g.o, one
44 for french documentation, one for french GWN, and one for french
45 dev handbook.
46 - for "Forums", bump the French forum higher in the list
47 - for "Wiki", add search on fr.gentoo-wiki.org
48
49 The code is now all in the JS file, and only requires an onload
50 event in the HTML page. I had made this change because i was
51 thinking to make it a GreaseMonkey script at the end if there was
52 finally no search form on wwwredesign, but anyway it also has the
53 benefit to show the form only in JS-enabled browsers, which is good
54 since it is required (sure we could think of having a simpler form
55 for non-JS browsers).
56
57 I think it is now a bit cleaner that it used to be, and would only
58 require little modification to be usable on wwwredesign. If you
59 think it worths it, feel free to do whatever is needed for
60 copyright or license (i've put that code in public domain). And
61 sure i'm available for questions/requests.
62
63 Hope that helps,
66 TGL.
67 --