From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:20:10
1 Xavier Neys wrote:
2 >
3 > I posted a few comments with screen caps at
4 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/wwwredesign/
7 This is 11 points, I'll address them in order:
8
9 1.1 previously fixed.
10
11 1.2 changed it to 6 news items. I was following Aarons layout when I
12 created the More News page. It shows all the old news right back to the
13 beginning instead of just a few old ones. I can easily change it to have
14 only a few older news items follow the 6 main ones with just a title
15 that is clickable. What does everyone think of this? I like the More
16 News personally but it makes no difference to me.
17
18 1.3 fixed
19
20 2. This design/layout does not lend itself very well to font resizing.
21 It has layered divs that are fixed sizes in order to make it look good
22 at the default font. Pumping up the font to 120% ("Larger" in IE) at
23 800x600 is still a good layout. It's only when you size the font higher
24 than that or make the window smaller that problems occur. At just a few
25 pixels wider than 800 you can pump the font up to 150% ("Largest" in IE)
26 without breaking the layout. Is anyone really going to be looking at it
27 at such huge font sizes with such a tiny window? If you need to make the
28 fonts 150% larger in order to see them you will most likely be making
29 the window larger as well. I don't see a problem with it to be honest.
30 What are some other opinions, suggestions, ideas on the subject?
31
32 3. fixed
33
34 4.1 fixed
35
36 4.2 The nav bar is within the /xsl/handbook.xsl file. I was told not to
37 touch that file. I take your suggestion to change the nav bar as
38 permission to touch it now. Swift, if you still want me to not touch the
39 handbook let me know and I'll drop in the unchanged one. I have started
40 experimenting with how to make that nav bar better, if anyone has any
41 ideas let me know.
42
43 5. fixed (I think). What do you think of those?
44
45 6.1 fixed
46
47 6.2 fixed
48
49 7.1 same as 6.2
50
51 7.2 I changed the background color to white to match the reference
52 design. The colored title is now more visible. Is this acceptable?
53
54 8. fixed
55
56 9. That table was being rendered by the glsa-latest template instead of
57 the normal table template and wasn't adding "class="ntable", fixed.
58
59 10. fixed.
60
61 11. those borders weren't supposed to be there anyway. fixed in normal
62 and print css files.
65 > Besides, is there any hope of using a background colour in <th> that
66 > allows to read <c> and <brite>?
67
68 Changed this to the light purple. Check it out and give me some feedback.
71 > Is there any reason not to use HTML's <th> for our GuideXML's <th>? I
72 > never bothered to change the current site because I hoped this redesign
73 > would fix it.
74