From: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: [www-redesign] a couple of comments
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 08:24:08
1 Wow, took a quick peek and everything looks much nicer.
2
3 A couple of things (here it goes):
4
5 --1--
6 > When I saw the e-mail icon next to the print icon, my first
7 > thought was that it was a "send-a-link" button, since that's
8 > pretty common on news sites. Having it represent a mailto:
9 > link instead might be potentially confusing. Anybody else think that?
10
11 It is misleading and counter intuitive. The original reference was for
12 "send-a-link," but to do that it requires javascript and hence that's
13 probably why it was changed to a static mailto: link.
14
15 --2--
16 > There are a few other minor changes as well. Link colors have
17 > been made more consistant: purple on white for content areas
18 > and white on purple in the menu bar. All links turn green on
19 > :hover. These color combinations pass the color-blind test,
20 > look really good and are consistant.
21
22 The green was intended for on the dark purple background on the top bar or
23 bolded text headings. It is not intended for unbold non-heading text on
24 white background or on light purple background (especially hard to see, e.g.
25 hover ad links on the ad bar). Also, the ad images have dotted underlines
26 under them, they shouldn't.
27
28 --3--
29 > The top level menu (main, planet, forums, etc...) had an
30 > issue. The green arrow designates which site you are on. If
31 > you are on planet.gentoo.org then PLANET would be first in
32 > line with the green arrow. I spaced the first word out more
33 > to make it more obvious. The link colors were changed to
34 > white with green hover to be consistant with the site-wide
35 > color scheme and also to pass the color blind test.
36
37 Hmm...we shouldn't changed the menu order on the users. It creates
38 confusion and slows down the workflow because they'd have to double-check
39 the position of the links before clicking due to them changing. How about,
40 current site = white link, other sites = dimmer (i.e. light purple). Also
41 the green arrow doesn't vertically align with the text as in the reference,
42 not sure why merely changing colors would also change the positioning. The
43 font looks a tad different, maybe that's why.
44
45 --4--
46 > I like this version much better. It's all coming together, and
47 > I give my thumbs up for a release of this as soon as the minor
48 > bugs are worked out. (Not like it matters, but as an average gentoo
49 > user, I applaud you, and everyone else!)
50
51 > Yes, let's see this before X-Mas 2005! It would be a nice X-mas
52 > present to the community!
53
54 I'd strong advise against releasing an unpolished product and patching up
55 known-bugs later (i.e. pull a Microsoft). Since this is a major event,
56 there will undoubtly be additional coverage and it would not look good if we
57 launched it at sub par quality (Gentoo critics would totally capitalize on
58 it).
59
60 --5--
61 > Chapters are the green and a larger font size and sections
62 > are dark purple and a little smaller. It looks good at the
63 > moment and (more or
64 > less) matches the reference design.
65
66 Looks good, my only concern with this and the other color changes is where
67 the colors came from. Are they part of the color scheme? The dark purple
68 sub headings, while the text is of higher contrast (is it necessary?), it
69 over shadows the green heading (even though the green heading is larger),
70 this is because the apparent brightness is inconsistent. The purple in the
71 reference looks more balanced. The headings (green, purple, and doc heading
72 at top in the light purple box) could be a little bigger as our default text
73 is bigger.
74
75 --6--
76 On the front page, there's a light purple space below between the content
77 area and the footer bar. To the right of the line where it says "#103610 -
78 yaboot-static claims incorrectly that /proc/device-tree broken is in the
79 2.6.12 kernel series", the ad bar is shifted by 1 pixel to the right (this
80 is barely noticeable but very odd).
81
82 --7--
83 The front page looks over crowded, I think this is mostly a spacing issue
84 (or lack of). Giving the purple bar headings a padding and putting more
85 space between each news item may help a little temporarily. The "More News"
86 link needs to be more prominent, right now it just looks like part of the
87 last news item.
88
89 --etc.--
90 The table borders might look better in a purple (right now it appears black
91 or very dark gray).
92
93 The XML buttons have dotted underlines, within a sentence it looks okay, but
94 on its own it looks strange (the underline sticks right to the bottom of it,
95 essentially same problem as ad images). This is probably a line height
96 issue.
97
98 The ad column's purple doesn't quite match the light gray portion on the
99 footer which connects to it. The purple looks nice too, I can probably
100 change the footer graphic later to match the purple.
104 Overall good work Curtis, this is coming together nicely! The progress has
105 been huge in the last couple of weeks.
108 Aaron
111 www-redesign@g.o mailing list