From: Stefan Huszics <sauron@×××××××.se>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Re: Status on Gentoo redesign
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:03:57
Sven Vermeulen wrote:

> - Can we have the "warning"/"important"/"note" stuff with a graphical > icon > and a nice rounded border? But without having it take up too much > space of > course. > >
That would probably be a good idea. Pretty easy to do as well with CSS (eg :before & border-radius), but it won't show up in all browsers. Alternatively one could of cource add graphical images which is a bit more "clumsy" & b/w hungry way to do it, but more reliable. What method to choose, if implemented, basicly comes down to how severe one thinks the loss of the visual image & rounded corner is.
> - Perhaps the td's of a table should have a wider padding, the text > currently touches the borders (or at least it seems like this) > >
I don't understand/see where this text is that touch borders , then again I also think the tables should be replaced in any case.
> - Is it a good idea to have the contents indented wrt the titles? Some > people find it less readable - I don't have a personal opinion though, > just passing along > >
Feel somewhat like a parrot now, but a tableless design allows for a greater flexibility in indentations/placement of different parts.
> - The titles of the news items currently have a colored background. If > you > have two news items with different length, it disturbs the vision a bit. > Can we use a fixed width for this coloring or don't do any color at all? > >
My vote would be for preferably no color at all. Colored backgrounds is always a bit "dangerous" to use since not everybody has the same colorvision. In worst case it could make text you are trying to emphasize almost or compleatly unreadable to a person with some deficiency in their ability to see certain colors. Thus though background colors can sometimes look more astetically pleasing, size/boldness/borders are usually a better alternative to highligting something from an accessability POV.
> Further, we should take a look at how we would display a plethora on > authors/editors (such as on > > > > Aaron's design (see > looks good for one, perhaps a few, authors, but might need some > tweaking for > a larger amount. We can do some magic on this, such as having > Authors: Sven Vermeulen, Daniel Robbins, Chris Houser > Editors: Eric Stockbridge, Rajiv Manglani, Jungmin Seo, Stoyan > Zhekov, ... > but even doing so would generate about 11 categories for the handbook > page. > >
That looks like a generally good solution. To solve the "11 categories" problem we could possibly add a show/hide functionality with scripting if people think it's needed. Though I would like to see a mockup of this (I assume) worst case scenario with your suggested layout before making up my mind about if it's needed. / Stefan PS Aaron, are you on the list now or should I/we continue CCing you directly? -- www-redesign@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [www-redesign] Re: Status on Gentoo redesign Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>