From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:33:16
On Monday 21 November 2005 12:27, Aaron Shi wrote:
> I've been stressing these points since day one, finally someone gets > it! If we don't enhance the underlying design of the site (i.e. the > "substance") in order to remedy some of the problems with the old > design, the redesign would more appropriately be called a "face lift." > I don't know what actually goes under the hood with all the xml etc., > but to me, as it appears, it's simply a face lift. The functionality > hasn't changed one bit. Navigation is still a nightmare. On a site as > complex as Gentoo's, users -- especially those new to Gentoo (who also > happens to be those who are critical to the growth of Gentoo) -- will > be easily lost. They will have a hard time finding the information > which they seek to make their decision to use Gentoo or to make their > Gentoo experience successful.
I agree with you too. Especially the homepage is too full. Please look at what could be moved, done different etc. Of course the information should still be reachable, but how it is reachable should be improved.
> Christopher, we've gone a ways since the preview images. A newer proof > of concept / early prototype is here:
Looks great. Unfortunately I don't have the time, but else I'd help to get the current wwwredesign.g.o more into that direction. Including redesigning the contents and xml structure.
> Quirks: > - The front page news area seems really out of character (the lines, > the styles, the indentation, etc. seems "off") > - General spacing is messed up, i.e. lots of white space where there > shouldn't be
100% agreed
> - Table borders don't quite fit into the theme
Yeah, looks awfull
> - I thought the 3 jump pads are only supposed to appear on the front > page?
Probably looks better, especially when the news area doesn't push it offscreen.
> I don't think the bolding or whiter shade is necessary for my credits > at the bottom. Thanks for thought though, but such credits should be > as unobtrusive as possible so that users can better focus their > attention elsewhere on what's important. It's probably better left as > before -- unbold, dark shade of purple (see bottom of >
Indeed ;-) Paul ps. On your page, I find the XHTML and CSS links to the verifiers confusing. Better just leave them out. -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [www-redesign] status of "Christopher Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>