From: Chris Case <macguyvok@×××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] a couple of comments
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:00:48
Might I make a suggestion of limiting the news items on the front page to
two or three? It would help to clean up the front page a bit. Other than
that, it's quite a nice site.

On 12/11/05, Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com> wrote:
> > Wow, took a quick peek and everything looks much nicer. > > A couple of things (here it goes): > > --1-- > > When I saw the e-mail icon next to the print icon, my first > > thought was that it was a "send-a-link" button, since that's > > pretty common on news sites. Having it represent a mailto: > > link instead might be potentially confusing. Anybody else think that? > > It is misleading and counter intuitive. The original reference was for > "send-a-link," but to do that it requires javascript and hence that's > probably why it was changed to a static mailto: link. > > --2-- > > There are a few other minor changes as well. Link colors have > > been made more consistant: purple on white for content areas > > and white on purple in the menu bar. All links turn green on > > :hover. These color combinations pass the color-blind test, > > look really good and are consistant. > > The green was intended for on the dark purple background on the top bar or > bolded text headings. It is not intended for unbold non-heading text on > white background or on light purple background (especially hard to see, > e.g. > hover ad links on the ad bar). Also, the ad images have dotted underlines > under them, they shouldn't. > > --3-- > > The top level menu (main, planet, forums, etc...) had an > > issue. The green arrow designates which site you are on. If > > you are on then PLANET would be first in > > line with the green arrow. I spaced the first word out more > > to make it more obvious. The link colors were changed to > > white with green hover to be consistant with the site-wide > > color scheme and also to pass the color blind test. > > Hmm...we shouldn't changed the menu order on the users. It creates > confusion and slows down the workflow because they'd have to double-check > the position of the links before clicking due to them changing. How > about, > current site = white link, other sites = dimmer (i.e. light purple). Also > the green arrow doesn't vertically align with the text as in the > reference, > not sure why merely changing colors would also change the > positioning. The > font looks a tad different, maybe that's why. > > --4-- > > I like this version much better. It's all coming together, and > > I give my thumbs up for a release of this as soon as the minor > > bugs are worked out. (Not like it matters, but as an average gentoo > > user, I applaud you, and everyone else!) > > > Yes, let's see this before X-Mas 2005! It would be a nice X-mas > > present to the community! > > I'd strong advise against releasing an unpolished product and patching up > known-bugs later (i.e. pull a Microsoft). Since this is a major event, > there will undoubtly be additional coverage and it would not look good if > we > launched it at sub par quality (Gentoo critics would totally capitalize on > it). > > --5-- > > Chapters are the green and a larger font size and sections > > are dark purple and a little smaller. It looks good at the > > moment and (more or > > less) matches the reference design. > > Looks good, my only concern with this and the other color changes is where > the colors came from. Are they part of the color scheme? The dark purple > sub headings, while the text is of higher contrast (is it necessary?), it > over shadows the green heading (even though the green heading is larger), > this is because the apparent brightness is inconsistent. The purple in > the > reference looks more balanced. The headings (green, purple, and doc > heading > at top in the light purple box) could be a little bigger as our default > text > is bigger. > > --6-- > On the front page, there's a light purple space below between the content > area and the footer bar. To the right of the line where it says "#103610 > - > yaboot-static claims incorrectly that /proc/device-tree broken is in the > 2.6.12 kernel series", the ad bar is shifted by 1 pixel to the right (this > is barely noticeable but very odd). > > --7-- > The front page looks over crowded, I think this is mostly a spacing issue > (or lack of). Giving the purple bar headings a padding and putting more > space between each news item may help a little temporarily. The "More > News" > link needs to be more prominent, right now it just looks like part of the > last news item. > > --etc.-- > The table borders might look better in a purple (right now it appears > black > or very dark gray). > > The XML buttons have dotted underlines, within a sentence it looks okay, > but > on its own it looks strange (the underline sticks right to the bottom of > it, > essentially same problem as ad images). This is probably a line height > issue. > > The ad column's purple doesn't quite match the light gray portion on the > footer which connects to it. The purple looks nice too, I can probably > change the footer graphic later to match the purple. > > > > Overall good work Curtis, this is coming together nicely! The progress has > been huge in the last couple of weeks. > > > Aaron > > -- > www-redesign@g.o mailing list > >
-- Christopher S. Case SUNY Fredonia Computer Science / Computer Engineering macguyvok@×××××.com (716) 785 - 5553(Cellphone) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "To err is human. To forgive, divine. To fix mistakes, now that's an Engineer." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject Author
Re: [www-redesign] a couple of comments Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>