From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Advertisement bar
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:47:00
Curtis Napier wrote:

> That is technically possible to make the ad div disappear with a button > click. It would require javascript though and I really really really > don't want to put any javascript in the site.
Yeah, i hear ya there..
> I played around with putting the ads column into the overall content div > and floating it to the right. This would make the text wrap under the > ads but it caused tons of other bugs to creep in with other divs inside > the content div (like the warnings and code listings) and required > workarounds that would make it more complicated than it needs to be. > Especially considering the background banners on the content and ads > column have to line up perfectly. > > If all browsers rendered css the same it would be really easy to do. > *cough*IE*cough* > > Is having the dead space that big of a deal? I *could* work on it and > see if I can come up with something better but it would require a lot of > time so I would like to push this off to a future update if possible.
Not a huge deal. You already took out the left pane (which helps A LOT!), but would be nice if we could get it totally clean. I wondered if wrapping the text around it would cause problems. Its not a show stopper for me, but I was curious of the issues surrounding it. *IF* we decided to add the javascript for that, how much of a PITA will that create? Is that something that will cause more issues down the road? Or mainly a need to stay away from it because of accessibility issues, etc? I'm curious what other folks think about this. I want us to promote our sponsors, but I'd also like to have a clean page that renders fully from left to right. (just me though)
> The current website has the same issue of dead space under the ads by > the way. :/
Yup. Cheers- -- Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o> Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager --- GPG Public Key: <> Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742 ramereth/

Subject Author
Re: [www-redesign] Advertisement bar Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>