From: Blackace <blackace@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:27:06
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 10:39 +0200, Christopher Bergström wrote:
> Usability and navigation needs work. Think in terms of end user.. > Someone may not land on the home page.. At which point he will have to > navigate to where he/she needs to get as quickly as possible. With > click-through patterns (If you can get the data) see where people are > going and make that most accessible.. Navigation should be fairly site > standard and potentially even show a hierarchy of where they are in the > site. (ie Home > Solutions > etc) > Do we have this data? Is now the time to do a structure change to allow > for faster digging?
Now is probably not the time, no, structure changes will likely take place after this first part of the redesign is implemented.
> (Not exactly related to the redesign, but is the site content index or > in a database at all.. How could we maybe allow for a site/doc search?)
Also planned.
> I've looked at the preview images for the winning contest.. Is it too > late to consider moving the three navigation boxes to the left hand side > and or keeping some of the left hand navigation there..
In my opinion, adding nav to the left side would take too much horizontal real estate.
> Possible to get the CSS page under 8k?
Why? the css should be cached by the useragent and therefore will only be transferred once.
> btw.. Is there any particular reason the current site pages end in .xml, > but are actually just html docs? (Do we plan to use xhtml at least in > the future?)
Yes, the underlying data is xml...the .xml files are being transformed to html/xhtml server-side using xslt. -- Blackace Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer