From: Chris Case <macguyvok@×××××.com>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Too much?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:23:04
1 I disagree. It doesn't seem all the bloated at all. I'm on a dialup
2 connection right now, and the page loaded for me very quickly. I like
3 the sleek look of the site, and the simple, yet elagant layout.
4
5 Gentoo's current site is very utilitarian. I think that as the gentoo
6 project has progressed, while it is still a very utilitarian
7 distribution, it has started to recently gain a good deal of polish,
8 and slowly it's become quite elagant. Right now, everything is
9 becoming more flashy, and more eye-candy oriented. This isn't wrong;
10 keep in mind that most people like eye-candy. However, I personally
11 hate bloated eye-candy. (Try browsing hotmail on dialup, or even
12 msn.com) I think this new website is a good balance between the demand
13 for eye-candy and bloat. I honestly don't see a good deal of bloat on
14 that site. Sure, you could argue that you don't need all the fancy
15 graphics, but by that logic, all graphics could be seen as bloat.
16 Remember, text loads very fast ;).
17
18 So, my opinion is that the current design is very nice.
19
20 On a side note... what's the current progress level of the website
21 redesign? Need any help?
22
23 --Chris