From: Chris Case <macguyvok@×××××.com>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Too much?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:23:04
I disagree. It doesn't seem all the bloated at all. I'm on a dialup
connection right now, and the page loaded for me very quickly. I like
the sleek look of the site, and the simple, yet elagant layout.

Gentoo's current site is very utilitarian. I think that as the gentoo
project has progressed, while it is still a very utilitarian
distribution, it has started to recently gain a good deal of polish,
and slowly it's become quite elagant. Right now, everything is
becoming more flashy, and more eye-candy oriented. This isn't wrong;
keep in mind that most people like eye-candy. However, I personally
hate bloated eye-candy. (Try browsing hotmail on dialup, or even I think this new website is a good balance between the demand
for eye-candy and bloat. I honestly don't see a good deal of bloat on
that site. Sure, you could argue that you don't need all the fancy
graphics, but by that logic, all graphics could be seen as bloat.
Remember, text loads very fast ;).

So, my opinion is that the current design is very nice.

On a side note... what's the current progress level of the website
redesign? Need any help?

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:03:42 -0500, James Dio <jim-list@××××××.com> wrote:
> Well i subscribed to this list quite some time ago and after looking > around for quite a short time (so if I am indeed mis-informed from only > reading a few posts bear with me) doesnt the site at > look a little bloated? > Thats what i liked about 's current site its simple and very > few images and no crazy things poking at you.. IMHO i kind of like > gentoo's current site :) That does look good and if it wasn't for it > looking bulky then i'd absolutly love it.. Or maybe bulky is alright i > really dont know but i figured i'd post my opinion not that its really > my business. > > >
-- Christopher S. Case SUNY Fredonia Co/Op Engineering macguyvok@×××××.com (716) 673 - 4396 (Dorm) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "To err is human. To forgive, divine. To fix mistakes, now that's an Engineer." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -- www-redesign@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [www-redesign] Too much? Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>