From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [www-redesign] Current status, information, todo-list and everything else you want to know
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:27:15
1 Hi all
2
3 Let me start with welcoming you all to this Gentoo subproject. It is with
4 great pleasure that I start this mailinglist because of some very interested
5 contributors and developers. I hope we can work together closely to redesign
6 the Gentoo website.
7
8 This mailinglist is primarily meant for discussions on the layout of the
9 Gentoo website (from which we can deviate a bit, but not much, since it was
10 elected by our community), the structure of the Gentoo website (think
11 sitemap) and the backend of the Gentoo website (the underlying XSLT code and
12 XML formats).
13
14 Although you will receive information on how the Gentoo webnodes (we have
15 several systems that operate under the same URL) interact, this is no place
16 to discuss the infrastructure on Gentoo. That privilege is preserved to the
17 infrastructure team who has probably far more experience in maintaining such
18 environments.
19
20 At this moment of writing, the Gentoo developers that made the initial
21 choice between all submitted designs and the publicised list of designs is
22 subscribed. Others will undoubtedly join quickly (if they aren't yet) since
23 their knowledge on particular subjects has been requested. I also hope to
24 welcome lots of contributors that are willing to donate some of their free
25 time to the development of this redesign.
26
27 Now what is the current status?
28
29 Well, Aaron has won the election and has already updated his design to suit
30 the various comments that were made on the Gentoo Forum [1]. This updated
31 design is currently available at http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo but will
32 shortly be moved to our CVS so concurrent development can happen.
33
34 Aaron should have finished his exams by now (he had his last ones this week
35 iirc) so he should join the upcoming discussions shortly.
36
37 I have also put out a first thought on the structure of the Gentoo website
38 (the www.gentoo.org front). I'll repost here:
39
40 Main page
41 +- About
42 | +- History (Extend current history with release history)
43 | +- Metadistribution (Will need to write this one)
44 | +- Advantages (Substitutes "Performance" which is outdated)
45 | `- Philosophy
46 +- Community
47 | +- Forums
48 | +- Mailinglists
49 | +- IRC
50 | `- Weekly Newsletter
51 +- Development
52 | +- Gentoo Projects (With link to Gentoo Hosted Projects)
53 | +- Bugs
54 | +- Online CVS
55 | +- Developer List (Perhaps beautify with more developer information)
56 | `- GLEPs
57 +- Download
58 | +- List of download mirrors
59 | +- List of rsync mirrors
60 | `- List of torrents
61 +- Documentation
62 +- Art (With appropriate license agreement)
63 | +- Logos
64 | +- Icons
65 | +- Themes
66 | `- Screenshots
67 +- Store
68 `- Sponsors
69
70 Yet this is just the beginning. We should now focus on various TODOs at the
71 same time.
72
73 First of all, the current design should be further fine-tuned. This is
74 layout-wise, not content. One shouldn't discuss the number of news items
75 that are to be printed on the main website, that's pure coding later on. We
76 use a total separation of layout <-> content, so only think on the layout.
77
78 We probably need content-drafts for
79 - the main website (such as currently made by Aaron)
80 - the "More headlines" page
81 - "main" pages (such as http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml)
82 - "news" pages (such as http://www.gentoo.org/news/20041021-portage51.xml)
83 - "guide" pages (such as http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml)
84 - printable "guide" pages (such as http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml?style=printable)
85
86 Note that everything else (such as a Handbook page, a Project page, the
87 project overview, ...) are currently created by the layouts defined in this
88 sort of pages. However, if you feel that for instance a Gentoo Handbook page
89 should use a different layout, don't hesitate to write up a layout change.
90 After all, we will rewrite the underlying code to suit the layout, not vice
91 versa.
92
93 During the design, you are free to use whatever Gentoo-graphics you may find
94 on our website (don't use them elsewhere). If you want to use graphics that
95 you didn't create yourself make sure we have the right to use it (legally,
96 you should be able to use modified versions of Gentoo official graphics
97 since those are still 'owned' by Gentoo, but if you're uncertain, be sure to
98 ask - we'll pass it along to our legal team).
99
100 After having a good layout that we can use (which shouldn't last too long as
101 Aaron has already done 95% of the work) we should target the underlying
102 XHTML code. First of all, it should be valid XHTML and CSS [2]. Second of
103 all, it should work on as many browsers as possible, /including/ Internet
104 Explorer (recent version). As as you are probably all aware, just using
105 standards doesn't fit - we will also have to limit ourselves to the
106 standards that are used by the majority of browsers.
107
108 Don't deviate from the standards though!
109
110 When that's finished, we will start writing our XSLT code (and, if
111 necessary, update our XML DTDs) and use a dedicated webnode to use a "beta"
112 version of the redesigned website.
113
114 Now on to the possible questions you might have.
115
116 Q. Do I get CVS access?
117
118 A. If you don't have Gentoo CVS access yet (i.e. you are not a developer),
119 probably not. We might deviate from this if you are contributing major
120 stuff and are willing to continue developing for Gentoo as part of, for
121 instance, the infrastructure team.
122
123 Q. How do I propose changes?
124
125 A. Upload them somewhere and put the URL on the mailinglist. If you don't
126 have room where you can upload changes, contact someone (fex, me :) to
127 put it on his/her http://dev.gentoo.org/~<username> page. Or you can just
128 discuss them on the mailinglist. Depends on the change of course :)
129
130 Q. What is the deadline?
131
132 A. I don't like deadlines, but I will place a roadmap and a current status
133 on the redesign somewhere (I should be able to find a spot somewhere :).
134 This should be sufficient for people to see how far we have progressed
135 and how many tasks need to be done.
136
137 Q. Will it be ready before 2005?
138
139 A. What are you smoking?
140
141 Q. You forgot something...
142
143 A. Please tell us; you know the mailinglist, just post :)
144
145 Okay, I believe that's enough for today. I'll keep you posted with more
146 information as it comes along (such as CVS location - so you can download
147 the intermediary result from ViewCVS).
148
149 Wkr,
150 Sven Vermeulen
151