From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] xhtml-1.1
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:59:04
Curtis Napier wrote:
> While I'm waiting for Aaron to create a new logo I am taking the time to > upgrade the site to xhtml-1.1. I put this in a blog post yesterday and > already have received numerous reports that I am doing it incorrectly. > > I want everyone on the list to feel confident in this change: > > > The specification for xhtml-1.1 says that the server *should* send > application/xml+xhtml in the HTTP header but that it *can* send > text/html in order to remain backwards compatible with older user > agents, IE for example. As long as the doctype is set correctly (and it > is) it is still valid xhtml-1.1.
It also says "should not" in black on red. You've explained at greath lengths why you think it is acceptable to send text/html as content-type, but not why a user agent that accepts application/xhtml+xml and is sent application/xhtml+xml is not told the content is application/xhtml+xml It's a minor issue with browsers, but I guess we'll get bugs or a questions about that regularly. Anyway, you should stick to xhtml1, preferably strict, because libxml2 does not support 1.1. Old stuff, but still valid. If you stick to the XHTML 1.0 doctype, you'll notice magic stuff happening to your transforms such as the name space being added to <html>, or xml:lang="pl" automatically added if you only have lang="pl"... e.g. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="" version="1.0" xmlns:exslt="" xmlns:func="" xmlns:str="" xmlns="" extension-element-prefixes="exslt func str" > <xsl:output encoding="UTF-8" method="xml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" indent="yes" doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" doctype-system= ""/> €0.02 -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / French & Internationalisation Lead \ /\ -- www-redesign@g.o mailing list