From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Advertisement bar
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:20:55
Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > If you can live without IE support, use an alternative stylesheet. That way, > the add can be removed by selecting a stylesheet from a browser menu, no > javascript required. > > Of course, the IE people are screwed, but I can't imagine that IE is a common > browser there, nor is the functionality loss unacceptable. >
Already thought of that but we want all browsers to display and behave the same. The only way I've found that works the same in all of them is using a javascript. Blackace wrote: > > You could use an XSL param to remove the ad div in the XSL stylesheet, > and make the link/button a link to "?ads=off" or similar. > > This would not require javascript but would have a like effect...the > best of both worlds. > I thought of that too. The problem is that I would have to add a new function to the href's parser and I'm not sure I want to add anymore complexity than we have too. Not to mention the href parser won't work on hard coded links in the menus and jumppads, only on dynamically created ones from xml files. This means if you turn off the ads then click a link in the menu the ads come back but if you click a link within the content area the ads will stay off. This is inconsistant behaviour and not really something I would want to do. Changing the href parser to work on the menu links wouldn't be an easy task. I would have to think about how to do that and experiment a little. Either way, getting rid of the ads column isn't a big priority, maybe we can look into it at a later date. I really want to focus on getting the existing site up and running. Then we can worry about enhancements at a later date. -- www-redesign@g.o mailing list