From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Cc: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>, www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Re: Status on Gentoo redesign
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:33:18
1 On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:08:55AM +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 [...]
3
4 I've put a snapshot of the current CVS (with all stuff mangled together
5 *cough*) which is available at
6 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/redesign-www.tar.gz.
7
8 So far for that part, now on to some suggestions if I may (I'm no wizz on
9 layout - i've tried making a proof-of-concept but it scared my cat away so I
10 won't show it here).
11
12 - Can we have the "warning"/"important"/"note" stuff with a graphical icon
13 and a nice rounded border? But without having it take up too much space of
14 course.
15 - Perhaps the td's of a table should have a wider padding, the text
16 currently touches the borders (or at least it seems like this)
17 - Is it a good idea to have the contents indented wrt the titles? Some
18 people find it less readable - I don't have a personal opinion though,
19 just passing along
20 - The titles of the news items currently have a colored background. If you
21 have two news items with different length, it disturbs the vision a bit.
22 Can we use a fixed width for this coloring or don't do any color at all?
23
24 Further, we should take a look at how we would display a plethora on
25 authors/editors (such as on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml)
26
27 Aaron's design (see http://www.siphos.be/~svermeulen/gentoo/generic.html)
28 looks good for one, perhaps a few, authors, but might need some tweaking for
29 a larger amount. We can do some magic on this, such as having
30 Authors: Sven Vermeulen, Daniel Robbins, Chris Houser
31 Editors: Eric Stockbridge, Rajiv Manglani, Jungmin Seo, Stoyan Zhekov, ...
32 but even doing so would generate about 11 categories for the handbook page.
33
34 Wkr,
35 Sven Vermeulen
38 Documentation & PR project leader