From: Blackace <blackace@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:50:16
1 On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 21:12 -0500, Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > I'm still working on the handbook menu, anybody have any ideas? I'm
3 > going to try the green arrows somehow or other unless someone can come
4 > up with something better.
5
6 I would suggest this is a good opportunity to figure out how the sub-nav
7 for specific sites like the forums and bugzilla will work out in
8 addition to sub-nav for the handbook and other handbook.xsl documents
9 (the dev handbook comes to mind)...my first suggestion along those lines
10 would be to place a sub-navigation bar under the main navigation but
11 above the ad bar, in other words where the five promo boxes are on the
12 main page, just collapsed in terms of height...this would also allow you
13 to keep the search interface around on other pages of the site...and you
14 could add a combo box to it for selecting what search to perform...this
15 and a unified interface on all gentoo sites with unified search result
16 pages will allow people to move from one site to the next, finding what
17 they need, quickly, efficiently, and intuitively.
18
19 > I made a major change to the content area. I did this to address the
20 > problem of "Dead Space" under the ad bar that several people have
21 > complained about and to help make the site degrade properly when fonts
22 > are increased or the window is small.
23 >
24 > Doing this caused a problem with block items overlapping the ads. This
25 > is because in order to get text to wrap under it (ad bar) I had to float
26 > it instead of absolutely positioning it. Items like: warning, important,
27 > note and codetables had to change the way the title is done from a div
28 > to a span to keep the background color from stretching across the page
29 > and overlapping the ads. The bottom part of them is now a <p> instead of
30 > a div for the same reason. The header will now only have a colored
31 > background directly under the text instead of a banner that goes across
32 > the page. Other than that it still looks the same.
33
34 I see the effects of this in the ad bar's padding, width, and in the
35 line-height of it's contents (which may just be noticeable relative to
36 the horizontal problems), and in how the main page scrolls horizontally
37 now.
38
39 I don't know if it's related or not, but the jump pads at the bottom now
40 have a large gap between the top image of each one and it's contents.
41
42 Another small thing that catches my eye is the title rows for the
43 newsitems, it needs some padding so the background color isn't crowding
44 the text...and it might look better if the date to the left of the title
45 had a background color, maybe a slightly different color, so the whole
46 newsitem is better defined from the others in place of the horizontal
47 rules that were removed (which don't get me wrong, looked worse, but the
48 newsitems are lacking definition now).
49
50 Another thing on the newsitems that comes to mind is how the author on
51 the left is exactly one row higher than the text on the right...I agree
52 there needs to be top-padding in the text row, but it seems it would be
53 ok for the text and the author to line up and share the same
54 top-padding.
55
56 > It's all coming together now thanks to the excellent feedback. Keep it
57 > coming people! :-)
58
59 Gladly, thank you for continuing on with the hard/real work of this
60 thing :)
63 Blackace
64 Gentoo Linux
65 Infrastructure Developer