From: Stefan Huszics <sauron@×××××××.se>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] about updated and news page.
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 03:45:55
Michael Curtis Napier wrote:

>You have to remember that we are just trying to finalize the layout >right now. The table vs div and the font issues can all be done later. > >
Sorry, I guess it's out of habit for me that makes it hard to concentrate on layout alone at start. I usually work by transforming a well structured highly accessible plaintext-site into something that looks pretty on a graphical display. Thus layout first while adding underlying markup/CSS/accessibility afterwards to me just feels a little bit like trying to make an omelet before breaking the eggs. To some extent doing layout before markup also means having to do at least twice the work to reach your target designs look & feel since once it looks like how you want to have it you have to tear it all down again and almost start from scratch again to merge in good accessibility/behaviour and recreate the look that was evolved ontop of another underlying structure. Also, there is a definite risk of locking/limiting yourself into a underlying design that is clumsy and aqward to make accessible when you are finalizing layout before leting loose the full power of tableless CSS controlled design. In any case, I'll try to write my thoughts down for now and bring them up again once we reach that point on the todolist if the rest of you prefer the "Layout before Markup" approach. :) I'll just keep my fingers crossed that a "final layout" is not compleatly set in stone by the time we reach the CSS & Markup stage so it becomes too much of an obstacle to also getting the site accessible and well behaved. Regards /Stefan Huszics

sauron.vcf text/x-vcard