From: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [www-redesign] Current status
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:44:23
1 > I've stopped responding to the gentoo-dev thread. We'll keep
2 > all discussion here.
3
4 Good idea, I completely missed out on that other discussion. Did not know
5 that the redesign was discussed on another list.
6
7 > Aaron, will you take a look at what I currently have up on
8 > the test server. Use my code as a base and tweak the css to
9 > your liking. I know a lot of what you see in my codebase is
10 > not what you would like to see but I made a lot of changes to
11 > make it work correctly and as easily as possible with the XSL
12 > template. For the time being let's stick to one css file.
13
14 This looks much better! As I mentioned in my email to you (which I just
15 sent moments ago), I will not be able to work on the site until January.
16 That's unfortunate, but I'll try to keep up with this list.
17
18 As with the CSS, I remembered that I forgot to mention one thing. I said
19 that the cascade will allow us to have a separate printable page (e.g.
20 http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepageprint.html), but what I forgot to
21 say is that it'll also allow the normal page to look like the printable page
22 if you hit print preview in your browser (i.e. if you print preview
23 http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepage.html it will look like the
24 printable page). One of my prior comments about adding the printable CSS
25 line to make it printable is incorrect. The line is in fact already there,
26 the only difference is that in the normal page we set the attribute
27 media="print" so it only takes effect in print.
28
29 I know in my reference pages I have a few lines for incorporating the
30 various CSS files, but in reality, we can use 1 CSS file to import all the
31 others. Would this work? Of course, very old browsers like Netscape 4 will
32 not be able to import the additional sheets, but then again they doesn't
33 handle much CSS anyway. Really, the proper method is import, but I resorted
34 to linking all the CSS files individually in HTML so very old browsers will
35 be able to obtain the external CSS.
38 Aaron
41 www-redesign@g.o mailing list