From: Robyn Dawn Hannigan <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup and 2.6.37 on gentoo
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 12:28:47
> From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> > To: gentoo Accessibility <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o> > Cc: speakup mailing list <speakup@×××××××××××.ca> > Sent: Wed, 2 February, 2011 5:30:56 AM > Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup and 2.6.37 on gentoo > > All, > > gentoo-sources-2.6.37 is in our tree. I do not know when it will be > marked stable, but I wanted to go ahead and post a message about the > upgrade process for speakup users.
> When you configure a 2.6.37 or newer kernel, you will find speakup in > the staging drivers under device drivers in the menu. Be sure to select > the speakup core and the synthesizer driver(s) you need. They can either > be modules or built in. > > Once the new kernel is compiled and installed, you should be able to > boot normally and have speakup start talking.
... snip ... Hello List, Congratulations on finally getting this to staging! 5 years is a lot of patience from the developers. So before anything, all users and hackers deserve many compliments. What doers the software synthesizers stack look like now? Is there any interest in it being tested or is it no longer a viable option? It used to look like kernel |+ speakup.ko with speakup_soft |+ speakup_soft with parameter start=1 |+ espeak installed on system with USE=portaudio |+ speakup package installed on system |+ speech-dispatcher installed on system |+Add speech-dispatcher to a runlevel a |+Add espeakup to runlevel a This worked for a while but stopped in kernel 2..6.32 or so. i tried again a few weeks ago, but speech-dispatcher seems to be not working any longer on ~amd64. If anyone has any idea what the current stack looks like, i would appreciate some pointers. For obvious reasons links websites are preferred but if this is still 'in the back room' then perhaps we might start something about this on the accessibility project page? Depends if there is any interest. All the best anyway, rdh