From: Dag Sverre Seljebotn <dagss@××××××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:38:05
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 29-03-2010 21:22:12 +0200, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
3 >
4 >>> First hint: Do _not_ use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (on a regular basis) for various reasons.
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >> I keep seeing this statement repeated on the web, but somehow always
8 >> feel the reasons given don't apply in my usecase (I might of course be
9 >> wrong..). And using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is incredibly convenient for a
10 >> number of reasons: It allows moving directories around, moving programs
11 >> to our cluster for execution without recompiling, ship a binary tarball
12 >> to others with the same system.
13 >>
14 >> I realize people have strong opinions about this. Please, I don't want
15 >> to start any flamewars. (In particular I don't feel strongly for arguing
16 >> about one vs. the other, just saying that I'm currently a happy
17 >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH user.)
20 > Gentoo Prefix doesn't work with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so if your environment
21 > is designed to use it, then we simply cannot offer a solution to you.
22 >
23 It's not a total dealbreaker, but it does mean quite a few extra builds,
24 i.e. wasted time before getting results (as the home dir on the cluster
25 I use don't match the home dir on my development machine).
26
27 I'm not looking for a ready solution BTW, just a good starting point. Of
28 course, it might just be too much work.
29
30 Dag Sverre