From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:29:52
1 On 29-03-2010 21:22:12 +0200, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
2 > > First hint: Do _not_ use LD_LIBRARY_PATH (on a regular basis) for various reasons.
3 > >
4 > I keep seeing this statement repeated on the web, but somehow always
5 > feel the reasons given don't apply in my usecase (I might of course be
6 > wrong..). And using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is incredibly convenient for a
7 > number of reasons: It allows moving directories around, moving programs
8 > to our cluster for execution without recompiling, ship a binary tarball
9 > to others with the same system.
10 >
11 > I realize people have strong opinions about this. Please, I don't want
12 > to start any flamewars. (In particular I don't feel strongly for arguing
13 > about one vs. the other, just saying that I'm currently a happy
14 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH user.)
15
16 Gentoo Prefix doesn't work with LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so if your environment
17 is designed to use it, then we simply cannot offer a solution to you.
18 > It is a weakness shared with the *current* approach used by pretty much
19 > everybody, which is to provide my package, list the 15 dependencies, and
20 > have people sort it out by themselves -- which is a major waste of time
21 > (to make an understatement, not all scientists are experts in building
22 > software). To the point that people rewrite complicated stuff themselves
23 > just to avoid the dependencies...
24
25 You could consider building binary packages and offering them to your
26 scientists. Gentoo Prefix can install binary packages in different
27 locations than they are built for, although -- to be honest -- it's a
28 sufficiently scaring technology to try and avoid it if possible (by
29 having the same install location everywhere).
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level