From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:57:49
1 On 03/29/10 23:05, Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
2 > Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 >> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> There's lot of half-baked distribution solution available (sagemath.org,
6 >>> femhub.org, enthought.com, pythonxy.com), but Gentoo seems like a better
7 >>> choice for my project for several reasons.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> After a short look on all those links and after reading bug#240622 I get
11 >> the impression (may be wrong), that Gentoo Prefix _is_ what you're
12 >> looking
13 >> for - as a _replacement_ for sagemath (and others):
14 >> It just seems necessary to isolate the math-only package(s) out of
15 >> sagemath and write the ebuild(s) which uses already existent Gentoo
16 >> package-definitions (=ebuilds) as dependencies.
17 >>
18 > That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
19 >
20 > The ebuilds won't be the problem, the ones I need are already in Gentoo
21 > (and if not, François Bissey, who maintains a Sage overlay for Gentoo,
22 > has agreed to help me get to know Gentoo).
23 >
24 > The summary seems to be (and it's how others have put it as well):
25 > - Gentoo prefix has the advantage of a much more mature package
26 > distribution system (and community around it)
27 > - The ones mentioned has (what is in the community percieved as) the
28 > advantage of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH (being easily movable, bundleable)
29 > and using the system compilers and libtool (so they feel less like an
30 > "OS within an OS" and more like a software distribution mechanism -- one
31 > could argue this is not a good argument though).
32
33 just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
34 installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
35 chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
36 be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
37 yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
38 convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
39
40 "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
41 and
42 "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
43
44 those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
45 perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
46 (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it ;)
47
48 Cheers, Markus
51 > It seems I'm hoping for the best of both worlds, which I might not be
52 > able to get (or, not without a lot of work, and I guess I should at
53 > least gain much more Gentoo experience first).
54 >
55 > Dag Sverre