From: Dag Sverre Seljebotn <dagss@××××××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:05:56
1 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
3 >
4 >> There's lot of half-baked distribution solution available (sagemath.org,
5 >> femhub.org, enthought.com, pythonxy.com), but Gentoo seems like a better
6 >> choice for my project for several reasons.
9 > After a short look on all those links and after reading bug#240622 I get
10 > the impression (may be wrong), that Gentoo Prefix _is_ what you're looking
11 > for - as a _replacement_ for sagemath (and others):
12 > It just seems necessary to isolate the math-only package(s) out of
13 > sagemath and write the ebuild(s) which uses already existent Gentoo
14 > package-definitions (=ebuilds) as dependencies.
15 >
16 That's what I'm hoping, anyway.
17
18 The ebuilds won't be the problem, the ones I need are already in Gentoo
19 (and if not, François Bissey, who maintains a Sage overlay for Gentoo,
20 has agreed to help me get to know Gentoo).
21
22 The summary seems to be (and it's how others have put it as well):
23 - Gentoo prefix has the advantage of a much more mature package
24 distribution system (and community around it)
25 - The ones mentioned has (what is in the community percieved as) the
26 advantage of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH (being easily movable, bundleable)
27 and using the system compilers and libtool (so they feel less like an
28 "OS within an OS" and more like a software distribution mechanism -- one
29 could argue this is not a good argument though).
30
31 It seems I'm hoping for the best of both worlds, which I might not be
32 able to get (or, not without a lot of work, and I guess I should at
33 least gain much more Gentoo experience first).
34
35 Dag Sverre