From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gemato in prefix
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 18:50:30
1 On 05-03-2018 18:45:00 +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
2 > > > gemato is down to 24 seconds for verification, hashverify now takes 13
3 > > > seconds.
4 > > Darn, and how many cpu cores does it use throughout? Just two?
5 >
6 > I think you can relax. :) After upgrade from 10.3 to 11.2 it now runs
7 > more than a minute again. In four runs I've seen 66, 87, 56 and 72
8 > seconds.
9 >
10 > From the PIDs, process tree and CPU load it seems to start one
11 > controller and four workers (the i7-5650U has Hyperthreading). Work
12 > doesn't seem to be distributed equally between the workers because they
13 > finish at different times. The first finishes after about twenty
14 > seconds. The other follow in 10 second intervals. At the end the
15 > controller seems to do some more work for another 10 seconds.
16 >
17 > It gets slower with just two workers (-j2). For some reason I can't seem
18 > to saturate the CPUs. It can't be I/O per se because right afterwards
19 > hashverify goes up to 272% CPU usage and finishes in 8 to 11 seconds. So
20 > the fs cache must be fully primed.
21
22 Hmmm, I fear it's IO-bound somehow. Thanks for your detailed
23 observations.
24
25 > > > I'll go on and try to integrate gemato and hashverify with emaint sync
26 > > > in prefix.
27 > > Gemato should be already pretty much hooked, isn't it? I assume for now
28 > > we could use a hook?
29 >
30 > It is in mainline portage. There it now lives as a hardcoded call to
31 > gemato in rsync.py as seen with 2.3.22 on Linux. Prefix portage 2.3.18
32 > seems to lack it.
33 >
34 > Is it a lot of work to make a prefix portage release in line with
35 > mainline portage?
36
37 It's usually not that bad, but because they hardwired gemato, I don't
38 want to push that out.
39
40 > I've installed the repos.postsync.d hook from the source distribution
41 > for now and it seems to work fine. Same for hashverify. So I now have
42 > extra-pranoia double-verification using two implementations. :)
43 >
44 > How are chances to get the Prefix signing key into gentoo-keys?
45
46 Good suggestion, I should see to that. Perhaps they're willing to do
47 it.
48
49 Thanks,
50 Fabian