From: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gemato in prefix
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 17:46:19
1 Hi Fabian,
2
3 On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 09:20:31PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4
5 > > Were you able to pin down the actual cause of the verification failures?
6 > Yes.
7 > (BRACE BRACE)
8
9 Now that's what I call a tough nut to crack. Awesome work to sort it
10 out.
11
12 > > gemato is down to 24 seconds for verification, hashverify now takes 13
13 > > seconds.
14 > Darn, and how many cpu cores does it use throughout? Just two?
15
16 I think you can relax. :) After upgrade from 10.3 to 11.2 it now runs
17 more than a minute again. In four runs I've seen 66, 87, 56 and 72
18 seconds.
19
20 From the PIDs, process tree and CPU load it seems to start one
21 controller and four workers (the i7-5650U has Hyperthreading). Work
22 doesn't seem to be distributed equally between the workers because they
23 finish at different times. The first finishes after about twenty
24 seconds. The other follow in 10 second intervals. At the end the
25 controller seems to do some more work for another 10 seconds.
26
27 It gets slower with just two workers (-j2). For some reason I can't seem
28 to saturate the CPUs. It can't be I/O per se because right afterwards
29 hashverify goes up to 272% CPU usage and finishes in 8 to 11 seconds. So
30 the fs cache must be fully primed.
31
32 > > I'll go on and try to integrate gemato and hashverify with emaint sync
33 > > in prefix.
34 > Gemato should be already pretty much hooked, isn't it? I assume for now
35 > we could use a hook?
36
37 It is in mainline portage. There it now lives as a hardcoded call to
38 gemato in rsync.py as seen with 2.3.22 on Linux. Prefix portage 2.3.18
39 seems to lack it.
40
41 Is it a lot of work to make a prefix portage release in line with
42 mainline portage?
43
44 I've installed the repos.postsync.d hook from the source distribution
45 for now and it seems to work fine. Same for hashverify. So I now have
46 extra-pranoia double-verification using two implementations. :)
47
48 How are chances to get the Prefix signing key into gentoo-keys?
49 --
50 thanks, Micha