From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] does 'emerge world' replace already updated packages?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:13:54
On 2011-09-13 15:55, Askar Bektassov wrote:
> Hi all, > > My question is straightforward, under what circumstances emerge world > re-emerges packages even if installed and updated?
So, strictly speaking, emerge takes an atom and will install that. In this case, 'world' is the atom. 'emerge world' will REINSTALL every atom in your world file (.../var/lib/portage/world). The canonical way to UPDATE all packages is with the short options "-uDN", emerge -pvuDN world. To break that down further, if you were trying to install 'app-editors/vim' then 'emerge vim' would install vim the first time and keep reinstalling vim every subsequent time, but 'emerge -u vim' would only update vim if needed. Hope that helps, Jeremy