From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] readline ebuild problem
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:31:42
1 On 28-11-2008 09:05:20 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > > Argh. Nope libperl breaks and creates libperl.irrelevant.
3 >
4 > IMO this is the best thing that can happen on your platform, because
5 > sys-devel/libperl only is useful as a *shared* library (with 'soname'),
6 > because the static libperl.a is provided by dev-lang/perl (according to
7 > the comments in sys-devel/libperl.ebuild).
8 >
9 > When sys-devel/libperl provides the static libperl.a, you would likely
10 > have a collision in dev-lang/perl lateron.
11 >
12 > Eventually, sys-devel/libperl should generally be package.masked for
13 > FreeMiNT (as 'irrelevant', lol), or at least install nothing.
14 >
15 > NOTE: The whole tree as well as the dependency resolving within portage
16 > is designed for shared libraries: When there is a bug in one library,
17 > only this one package gets rebuilt with the fix, and binaries using this
18 > shared library will use the fixed one when restarted.
19 > There is no mechanism to rebuild packages which have the broken library
20 > linked in statically, so they still use the broken code.
21
22 I agree completely with this.
23
24 > > So I'm back to fixing readline, as I'm loathe to go fixing everything
25 > > this will break.
26 >
27 > It's not that I just don't want to change readline to *-aix*, instead I
28 > still feel having get_libname() on FreeMiNT returning '.a' simply is
29 > wrong - and doing it right as early as possible is better than doing it
30 > fast.
31
32 I just changed it for the moment, as I'm not confident myself what's
33 wrong or right. I do feel the .irrelevant thing is the right way
34 though, for the reasons mentioned by haubi.
35
36 > > But I still need the patch below applying.
37 > > > in gen_usr_ldscript().
38 >
39 > This is ok.
40
41 I added that, even though I wonder why mint doesn't need a symlink there.
45 Fabian Groffen
46 Gentoo on a different level