From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] readline ebuild problem
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:05:24
1 On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 18:43 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 13:56 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:21 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
4 > > > Let me try the ".irrelevant" flag and see what breaks though.
5 > >
6 > > O.k. let's go for this then, and I can bump into issues as they come, as
7 > > it obviously works for the readline case.
8 >
9 > Argh. Nope libperl breaks and creates libperl.irrelevant.
10
11 IMO this is the best thing that can happen on your platform, because
12 sys-devel/libperl only is useful as a *shared* library (with 'soname'),
13 because the static libperl.a is provided by dev-lang/perl (according to
14 the comments in sys-devel/libperl.ebuild).
15
16 When sys-devel/libperl provides the static libperl.a, you would likely
17 have a collision in dev-lang/perl lateron.
18
19 Eventually, sys-devel/libperl should generally be package.masked for
20 FreeMiNT (as 'irrelevant', lol), or at least install nothing.
21
22 NOTE: The whole tree as well as the dependency resolving within portage
23 is designed for shared libraries: When there is a bug in one library,
24 only this one package gets rebuilt with the fix, and binaries using this
25 shared library will use the fixed one when restarted.
26 There is no mechanism to rebuild packages which have the broken library
27 linked in statically, so they still use the broken code.
28
29 > So I'm back to fixing readline, as I'm loathe to go fixing everything
30 > this will break.
31
32 It's not that I just don't want to change readline to *-aix*, instead I
33 still feel having get_libname() on FreeMiNT returning '.a' simply is
34 wrong - and doing it right as early as possible is better than doing it
35 fast.
38 > But I still need the patch below applying.
39 > > in gen_usr_ldscript().
40
41 This is ok.
42