From: Alan Hourihane <alanh@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] readline ebuild problem
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:13:33
1 On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 09:05 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 18:43 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 13:56 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:21 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
5 > > > > Let me try the ".irrelevant" flag and see what breaks though.
6 > > >
7 > > > O.k. let's go for this then, and I can bump into issues as they come, as
8 > > > it obviously works for the readline case.
9 > >
10 > > Argh. Nope libperl breaks and creates libperl.irrelevant.
11 >
12 > IMO this is the best thing that can happen on your platform, because
13 > sys-devel/libperl only is useful as a *shared* library (with 'soname'),
14 > because the static libperl.a is provided by dev-lang/perl (according to
15 > the comments in sys-devel/libperl.ebuild).
16 >
17 > When sys-devel/libperl provides the static libperl.a, you would likely
18 > have a collision in dev-lang/perl lateron.
19
20 It doesn't here. sys-devel/libperl provides the static, and
21 dev-lang/perl never produces a lib.
22
23 > Eventually, sys-devel/libperl should generally be package.masked for
24 > FreeMiNT (as 'irrelevant', lol), or at least install nothing.
25
26 I did try that a while ago, but it threw up lots of horrible problems
27 with DEPEND/RDEPEND. So what's the correct way to package.masked this to
28 install nothing ??
29
30 > NOTE: The whole tree as well as the dependency resolving within portage
31 > is designed for shared libraries: When there is a bug in one library,
32 > only this one package gets rebuilt with the fix, and binaries using this
33 > shared library will use the fixed one when restarted.
34 > There is no mechanism to rebuild packages which have the broken library
35 > linked in statically, so they still use the broken code.
36
37 I realize this, and use Gentoo on my x86, mips, alpha, ppc & m68k-linux
38 boxes too.
39
40 But, any distro will have this problem, and it's just something we've
41 had to live with on FreeMiNT. So I don't feel Gentoo should be unable to
42 support this configuration. emerge is powerful enough to tell us when
43 things change, so I think it's liveable with in a static world.
44
45 > > So I'm back to fixing readline, as I'm loathe to go fixing everything
46 > > this will break.
47 >
48 > It's not that I just don't want to change readline to *-aix*, instead I
49 > still feel having get_libname() on FreeMiNT returning '.a' simply is
50 > wrong - and doing it right as early as possible is better than doing it
51 > fast.
52
53 Just tried emerging pam, and cracklib has the same "mv" problem. So I
54 guess it's inevitable I'm going to have to spend a bit more time on this
55 issue.
56
57 > > But I still need the patch below applying.
58 > > > in gen_usr_ldscript().
59 >
60 > This is ok.
61