From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:19:14
1 On Thursday 28 September 2006 10:37, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?':
3 > Duncan wrote:
4 > > However, I
5 > > don't do slaveryware, and most freedomware
6 > > has already been ported to amd64, so I compile it 64-bit.
7 > >
8 > > I'll likely be
9 > > switching back to Intel for the first time since the mid-90s, since
10 > > they have good free video drivers. I'd definitely be buying Intel if
11 > > I were in the market today, for that reason.
12
13 I agree, I would buy Intel today if I were in the market for a video card.
14
15 > > I didn't switch to Linux
16 > > after a decade on slaveryware just to be enslaved by a different
17 > > master, and enslaved it is, when the lack of ATI and NVidia drivers is
18 > > the only reason xorg-7.1 is not yet stable on x86 or amd64, and it's
19 > > the same thing with other distributions -- their actions are holding a
20 > > large segment of the would-be free software world hostage. Call it
21 > > what you like, I call choosing to be a hostage to the whims of a
22 > > software overlord choosing to be enslaved, and I both refuse to do it,
23 > > and refuse to have my money go toward funding the slave-masters!
24
25 I'm still using the NVidia proprietary drivers, because I have hardware
26 that requires them for 3D acceleration (and a number of games that refuse
27 to work un-accelerated). So, there's just not a tenable free alternative.
28
29 With multimedia formats, there is a wealth free formats available, so I
30 just don't use non-free formats.
31
32 I will also remember NVidia when it comes time to purchase a new system,
33 and buy something that has fully-functional and free drivers. e.g. freed
34 ATI, Intel or perhaps the card from the open graphics project.
35
36 > Come on, guys! Those are very strong words: "hostages", "slavery",
37 > "freedom".
38
39 Yes, we know. That's *why* he uses them. Strong words for strong
40 convictions.
41
42 > As far as I have free access to the necessary information to make my
43 > choice and the possibility to live by that choice I consider myself
44 > free.
45
46 And and anytime non-free software is one of the choices you LACK the
47 information needed to make the choice. You can't profile the code for
48 performance bottlenecks or audit it for security considerations. Also,
49 using non-free software take choices away from you later.
50
51 > Now let me put here a funny example about freedom and convenience.
52 > Suppose you have a very dear friend from the childhood. Life separated
53 > you as each one took a different path. After many years accidentally you
54 > find your buddy in The Internet.
55 > and he sends you a
56 > wmv compressed clip...
57 >
58 > Now what? You gonna tell your friend "Sorry, man, but I'm not gonna see
59 > your family 'cause I like my freedom!"
60 > Come ooon! ;-)))))))))))))
61
62 Yes, the same way I told my brother I couldn't watch his wedding because it
63 was webcast in a non-free format. I same way I told my employer I
64 couldn't provide my resume in MS Word format. The same way I tell my
65 roommate I can't watch YouTube.
66
67 I'd also take the opportunity to tell him how to put his video in an
68 accessible format and possibly let him know about free alternatives.
69
70 I guess to you, (software) freedom is not worth much. It is to me.
71
72 > The last thing I want is to start some useless discussion titled "what
73 > should I sacrifice for freedom".
74
75 I think you are already there. :P
78 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
79 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
80 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
81 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh