From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:30:43
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200609281315.19206.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Thu, 28 Sep
3 2006 13:15:14 -0500:
4
5 > I'm still using the NVidia proprietary drivers, because I have hardware
6 > that requires them for 3D acceleration (and a number of games that refuse
7 > to work un-accelerated). So, there's just not a tenable free alternative.
8 >
9 > With multimedia formats, there is a wealth free formats available, so I
10 > just don't use non-free formats.
11 >
12 > I will also remember NVidia when it comes time to purchase a new system,
13 > and buy something that has fully-functional and free drivers. e.g. freed
14 > ATI, Intel or perhaps the card from the open graphics project.
15
16 I was in that situation for a bit over a year after I switched, and I
17 hated it. While I had been doing my research before switching and not
18 buying any hardware that didn't support Linux, from two years before I
19 actually made the switch (it /did/ make the switch MUCH easier, knowing
20 everything was supported =8^), unfortunately at the time I didn't grok the
21 difference between proprietary Linux support and /real/ Linux support --
22 that is free software. Thus when I bought my video card I bought an
23 NVidia GForce 2 (not too bad at the time, tho it had come down in price
24 some), relying on the Twinview, which naturally isn't supported in the
25 free drivers due to lack of specs cooperation from NVidia. As a result,
26 tho I very quickly groked the difference between freedomware and
27 slaveryware drivers once I actually switched to Linux, I was stuck with
28 the hardware and the slaveryware for a year or so until I could again
29 upgrade, this time choosing a Radeon with /real/ Linux support.
30
31 So yes, I know the feeling of being stuck as that slave very well,
32 unfortunately. =8^( Just getting onto Linux was a step in the right
33 direction, however, and I made /very/ sure I wouldn't make the same
34 mistake again once I realized it /was/ a mistake. Now I see folks
35 wondering why xorg 7.1 can't go stable, and just have to shake my head at
36 NVidia and ATI's gall, as I said, daring to hold the whole would-be free
37 sotware world hostage, even those not choosing to use their hardware, just
38 because they can, and can't/won't invest the time necessary in keeping up,
39 yet refuse to provide specs so they don't have to, as the xorg team would
40 take care of it. (You know xorg would if they could, given the
41 popularity of the hardware.)
42
43 BTW, it's not just them. Sun was behind in supporting amd64 with Java as
44 well, and when they did, at first it was the server package only, no
45 desktop version. Fortunately, Sun has promised to open up some this year,
46 and the rest next year. We'll see. And the gnash solution is coming
47 along on that front as well. WMV support too seems to be coming, so
48 things aren't looking /too/ bad, with the worst news remaining on the
49 graphics chip hardware front, and Intel's new stuff being the only even
50 close to modern choice out.
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
58 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list