From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] amd64 list, still useful? Was: btrfs
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 02:44:14
1 On Fri, 30 May 2014 02:04:39 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > FWIW, I'm no-multilib as well, but I guess for a different reason.
6 >
7 > I don't do proprietary and in general couldn't even if I wanted to, since
8 > I cannot and will not agree to the EULAs, so non-free software that
9 > hasn't been amd64 ported is of no concern to me,
12 It's not just proprietary software that lags behind. I continue
13 to encounter FOSS packages from time to time that are still 32-bit only.
14
15 One example, for audio enthusiasts, is the excellent AudioCutter:
16 http://www.virtualworlds.de/AudioCutter/
17
18 (There are many other examples but at this moment I can't recall any specific
19 names so you'll just have to trust me).
20
21 However, when it comes to the PDF file format it is hard to beat the
22 proprietary Foxit Reader. With FOSS only evince comes close but evince
23 lacks a lot of capability and seems to be buggy in places.
24
25 AMD64 should be the standard but many projects refuse to update since
26 reliance on multi-lib is so much simpler. As a consequence we 64-bit
27 purists are at a disadvantage.
28
29 Frank Peters