From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Install Athlon 64 X2 32-bit
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 07:55:27
1 On Thursday 01 June 2006 02:29, Mike Owen wrote:
2 > On 5/31/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 > > You have at least four options. The first is to just install it as a
4 > > normal x86 (using basically the same settings you probably use now,
5 > > since I see you are on AthlonXP, only with SMP for the dual-core, and
6 > > perhaps -march=k8 in your CFLAGS).
7 >
8 > <snip>
11 > That's probably a bad idea. Setting k8 enables the PTA_64BIT option
12 > in gcc, which I'm guessing won't work too well with a pure-32bit
13 > kernel + userland. You're probably best off using the same profile as
14 > you are now. If your kernel supports the hardware, you could even do
15 > an inplace upgrade, and not have to reinstall at all. The one thing
16 > you'll miss out on with using the athlon-mp or athlon-xp -march
17 > settings is sse2, and athlon-fx specific tuning.
18
19 Actually I've been running mostly 32 bit on my athlon64 and I always use
20 CFLAGS="-march=athlon64". Works perfectly and stable. My guess would be
21 that gcc distinguishes based on what compiler it is.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer