From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Install Athlon 64 X2 32-bit
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:49:25
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> posted
2 200606010953.17609.pauldv@g.o, excerpted below, on Thu, 01 Jun
3 2006 09:53:10 +0200:
4
5 > On Thursday 01 June 2006 02:29, Mike Owen wrote:
6 >> On 5/31/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
7 >> > perhaps -march=k8 in your CFLAGS).
8 >>
9 >> That's probably a bad idea. Setting k8 enables the PTA_64BIT option
10 >> in gcc, which I'm guessing won't work too well with a pure-32bit
11 >> kernel + userland.
12 >
13 > Actually I've been running mostly 32 bit on my athlon64 and I always use
14 > CFLAGS="-march=athlon64". Works perfectly and stable. My guess would be
15 > that gcc distinguishes based on what compiler it is.
16
17 I was wondering about that, but having not tried it myself, only had
18 Mike's word to go on. This does sound reasonable, and in keeping with the
19 general approach to things gcc seems to take.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list