From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: SOLVED: gcc 4.1 upgrade - bad desktop interactivity anyone?
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:05:39
1 On 9/23/06, Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9/22/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 9/22/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > > > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
5 > > > 5bdc1c8b0609221235i2270bbenf016d5fa7a1998ec@××××××××××.com, excerpted
6 > > > below, on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:35:47 -0700:
7 >
8 > > P.S. - I'm still curious about trying your compiler flags but now
9 > > there is no pressing timeframe to do it in on this machine. - MWK
10 > > --
11 >
12 > I put my workstation through its paces last weekend using Duncan's
13 > flags and so far I've only run across one package that gave me
14 > problems and that was Evolution. It didn't like the
15 > LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now"
16 >
17 > I can't really say if I've noticed a huge difference in performance
18 > because I use Windowmaker which is already pretty snappy but some of
19 > my apps such as Firefox seem to be a few steps quicker but that might
20 > all be in my head. Altogether it took about 18 hours to recompile the
21 > whole mess and nothing fell apart other than a slight issue with
22 > Evolution.
23
24 Cool. So you did essentially the
25
26 emerge -e system
27 emerge -e system
28 emerge -e world
29
30 steps that you did when upgrading gcc to get there?
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark
34 --