From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Internal Card Reader detection [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:54:46
1 "Jonathan Schaeffer" <joschaeffer@×××××.com> posted
2 d60596f50606290227m4132d133t79b551fdd693d3b1@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:27:46 +0200:
4
5 > I compiled usb_core, usb_ohci, usb_storage as module and this way,
6 > lsusb reports about my card reader.
7
8 Ahh... You probably got bit by the infamous
9 no-usb-unless-the-usb-stuff-is-compiled-as-modules bug. I puzzled over
10 that for awhile with my scanner. Turns out that for those with the bug,
11 all that shows up on the usb is the host-controllers, if the usb stuff is
12 compiled into the kernel.
13
14 Too bad I didn't remember that soon enough to help you, but maybe this
15 will help someone else struggling with the issue. It's apparently fairly
16 well known, tho I'm not sure of the cause or implications in terms of
17 kernel hacking and why the issue continues to exist.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
27 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list