From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] emerge -eav system failed with ati-drivers
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:59:48
1 David Fellows wrote:
2 > On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:49:15 -0400
3 > "John P. Burkett" wrote -
4 >> Thank you, David. The 2.6.22 Makefile I copied from another machine (as
5 >> described in my previous note) starts as follows:
6 >> VERSION = 2
7 >> PATCHLEVEL = 6
8 >> SUBLEVEL = 22
9 >> EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
10 >> NAME = Holy Dancing Manatees, Batman!
11 >>
12 >> As reported in my last note, putting that in my linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
13 >> directory does not suffice to let "emerge ati-drivers" succeed.
14 >>
15 >> My latest experiment was editing the Makefile, changing the fourth line
16 >> from EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
18 >> EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2-osmp
19 >>
20 >> After making that change, I again tried
21 >> emerge ati-drivers
22 >>
23 >> The response was the familiar
24 >> * Found kernel source directory:
25 >> * /usr/src/linux
26 >> * Could not detect kernel version.
27 >> * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux
28 >> sources.
29 >> *
30 >> * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 failed.
31 >>
32 >> I wonder why "emerge ati-drivers" still does not detect the kernel version.
33 >>
34 > Don't really know.
35 >
36 > You have verified that /usr/src/linux is a symlink to linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
37 > haven't you?
38 Thank you, David. Yes, I've verified that.
39 >
40 > If the top level MAkefile is missing, there could be any number of other files
41 > missing.
44 > You might look in /usr/portage/distfiles to see if you still have the
45 > distributioon files
46 > ls linux* and look for 2.6.22 and ls genpat* and likewise.
47 Those steps did not reveal any files or directories with names involving
48 2.6.22.
51 > If you do at least you could recreate the patched source tree manually.
52 > First rename your existing linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2 to something else.
53 >
54 > After you unpack and apply patches, copy your .config file into the new.
55 > make oldconfig,
56 > make and so on.
57 > Install this kernel into /boot and update grub accordingly. Boot into it.
58 > emerge your ati driver.
59 >
60 > I am afreaid I have runn out of advice.
61
62 Thanks, it was good advice. I understand the problem better now.
65 > Dave F
71 John P. Burkett
72 Department of Economics
73 University of Rhode Island