From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] emerge -eav system failed with ati-drivers
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:54:56
1 On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:49:15 -0400
2 "John P. Burkett" wrote -
3 >
4 > Thank you, David. The 2.6.22 Makefile I copied from another machine (as
5 > described in my previous note) starts as follows:
6 > VERSION = 2
7 > PATCHLEVEL = 6
8 > SUBLEVEL = 22
9 > EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
10 > NAME = Holy Dancing Manatees, Batman!
11 >
12 > As reported in my last note, putting that in my linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
13 > directory does not suffice to let "emerge ati-drivers" succeed.
14 >
15 > My latest experiment was editing the Makefile, changing the fourth line
16 > from EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
18 > EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2-osmp
19 >
20 > After making that change, I again tried
21 > emerge ati-drivers
22 >
23 > The response was the familiar
24 > * Found kernel source directory:
25 > * /usr/src/linux
26 > * Could not detect kernel version.
27 > * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux
28 > sources.
29 > *
30 > * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 failed.
31 >
32 > I wonder why "emerge ati-drivers" still does not detect the kernel version.
33 >
34 Don't really know.
35
36 You have verified that /usr/src/linux is a symlink to linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
37 haven't you?
38
39 If the top level MAkefile is missing, there could be any number of other files
40 missing.
43 You might look in /usr/portage/distfiles to see if you still have the
44 distributioon files
45 ls linux* and look for 2.6.22 and ls genpat* and likewise.
46 If you do at least you could recreate the patched source tree manually.
47 First rename your existing linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2 to something else.
48
49 After you unpack and apply patches, copy your .config file into the new.
50 make oldconfig,
51 make and so on.
52 Install this kernel into /boot and update grub accordingly. Boot into it.
53 emerge your ati driver.
54
55 I am afreaid I have runn out of advice.
56
57 Dave F