From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge -eav system failed with ati-drivers
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 03:25:51
1 David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca> posted
2 200906221754.n5MHsr1q010698@××××××××××××.ca, excerpted below, on Mon, 22
3 Jun 2009 14:54:52 -0300:
4
5 > If you do at least you could recreate the patched source tree manually.
6 > First rename your existing linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2 to something else.
7 >
8 > After you unpack and apply patches, copy your .config file into the new.
9 > make oldconfig, make and so on. Install this kernel into /boot and
10 > update grub accordingly. Boot into it. emerge your ati driver.
11
12 The mainline/Linus/kernel.org 2.6.22 kernel is always available from
13 kernel.org. Gentoo's gentoo-sources kernel is described as "lightly
14 patched", so the unpatched kernel.org kernel would probably work. I've
15 always used mainline, here, and always handled the kernel myself as well,
16 since I knew how to do it already in Mandrake, when I switched.
17
18 If the Gentoo patches are needed or you want to use the ebuild, both it
19 and the Gentoo patches should be available from the Gentoo source
20 repository.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman