From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] emerge -eav system failed with ati-drivers
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:49:33
1 David Fellows wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 19:58:59 -0400
3 > "John P. Burkett" wrote -
4 >> Thank you, David.
5 >>
6 >> David Fellows wrote:
7 >>> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 17:55:15 -0400
8 >>> "John P. Burkett" wrote -
9 >>>> Drake Donahue wrote:
10 >>>>> Burkett asked:
11 >>>>>
12 >>> 2) find someone who still has the top level Makefile from 2.6.22-r2 who wil
13 >> l
14 >>> send it to you. And hope that that is all you are missing.
15 >> This appears to be the easiest short term solution. In looking for the
16 >> top level Makefile from 2.6.22-r2, do I need to specify that it is to be
17 >> used on an amd64 machine or should I expect that any such file might
18 >> work on amd64 architecture?
19 >
20 > The Makefile should be architecture independent. I guess you can download one
21 > of the 2.6.22 series of kerenl sources from
22 > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
23 > unpack it somewhere and copy the Makefile.
26 > There is a sequence of 2.6.22 kernels starting with 2.6.22 and proceeding
27 > 2.6.22.1, 2.6.22.2, ...
28 > Which one of those correspods most closely to gentoo 2.6.22-r2 I don't know.
29 > Obviously those that come after the date (uname -a) that your kerenl was built
30 > are not of interest.
31 >
32 > Hmm. Just looked at my own Makefile again. It begins:
33 >
34 > VERSION = 2
35 > PATCHLEVEL = 6
36 > SUBLEVEL = 27
37 > EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r8
38 > NAME = Rotary Wombat
39 >
40 > my uname -a gives
41 > Linux kanga 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 ......
42 > It is remotely possible that the driver install is just using the Makefile
43 > for the version info to compare it against the currently running kernel
44 > version. in which case you could try creating a Makefile that just contains
45 > the first four lines above that match your kerenl version. Probably you would drop the -osmp since that is "EXTRAEXTRAVERSION".
46 >
47 > The NAME value is likely irrelevant.
48 >
49 > It would be easy to try. And should do no harm if it fails.
50 >
51 > But you are using chewing gum and baling wire to fix this.
52
53 Thank you, David. The 2.6.22 Makefile I copied from another machine (as
54 described in my previous note) starts as follows:
55 VERSION = 2
56 PATCHLEVEL = 6
57 SUBLEVEL = 22
58 EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
59 NAME = Holy Dancing Manatees, Batman!
60
61 As reported in my last note, putting that in my linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
62 directory does not suffice to let "emerge ati-drivers" succeed.
63
64 My latest experiment was editing the Makefile, changing the fourth line
65 from EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2
67 EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r2-osmp
68
69 After making that change, I again tried
70 emerge ati-drivers
71
72 The response was the familiar
73 * Found kernel source directory:
74 * /usr/src/linux
75 * Could not detect kernel version.
76 * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux
77 sources.
78 *
79 * ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 failed.
80
81 I wonder why "emerge ati-drivers" still does not detect the kernel version.
82
83 Best regards,
84 John
88 John P. Burkett