From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java in Firefox??
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:20:55
1 On Jan 26, 2008 5:44 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > This is the age old problem, as far as I know, with 64-bit Linux and a
5 > > world full of 32-bit multimedia. I think this wiki will surely
6 > > explain it better than I ever could. Hopefully the basic info you need
7 > > is there:
8 > >
9 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_firefox_with_java_on_amd64
10 >
11 > Way too complicated and risky! My solution is
12 >
13 > 1. Install 64-bit Firefox (compiled) for my main browser.
14 > 2. Install seamonkey-bin (32-bit) and change the R settings to use it as
15 > the browser instead of the default.
16 >
17 > So ... everything except Java now works in Firefox and searches work in
18 > R. If something else needs Java, I guess I can use seamonkey-bin for it.
19
20 Glad you found something that works for you. As I said when we started
21 - there just isn't any single solution that works for everyone. I do
22 90% of my browsing in 64-bit Firefox and the rest in Firefox on my Win
23 Vista machine. It works for me, most of the time.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark
27 --