From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:55:05
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
3 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:08 AM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
8 > On Jan 17, 2008 2:15 AM, Nicolas Litchinko <nicolas@×××××××××.fr> wrote:
9 >> Hi,
10 >>
11 >> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:37:21PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
12 >> > On Jan 16, 2008 4:56 PM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
13 >> > > Thus etc-update and/or dispatch-conf can't change localtime; but can
14 >> > > change
15 >> > > whether localtime runs or not.
16 >> >
17 >> > Humm...seems like what you say is true but doesn't explain how emerge
18 >> > -DuN system changed the file. It was clearly changed since I could
19 >> > look inside with vi and compare to the Los_Angeles file and see that
20 >> > they were clearly different...
21 >>
22 >> There's a variable in /etc/conf.d/clock that controls whether or not
23 >> /etc/localtime should be updated when a new version of
24 >> sys-libs/timezone-data is merged: TIMEZONE. If this variable is set, the
25 >> specified timezone data file is copied over /etc/localtime.
26 >>
27 >> as you can read in /etc/conf.d/clock:
28 >> # Select the proper timezone. For valid values, peek inside of the
29 >> # /usr/share/zoneinfo/ directory. For example, some common values are
30 >> # "America/New_York" or "EST5EDT" or "Europe/Berlin". If you want to
31 >> # manage /etc/localtime yourself, set this to "".
32 >>
33 >> If TIMEZONE is not set, /etc/localtime is not updated by
34 >> sys-libs/timezone-data. However, if TIMEZONE is set to an invalid value,
35 >> then /etc/localtime is overwritten by the "Factory" timezone data file.
36 >>
37 >> etc-update has probably changed the value of this variable after a
38 >> baselayout update. Then a timezone-data update used the wrong value to
39 >> update /etc/localtime. In your, case, the value of TIMEZONE should be
40 >> TIMEZONE="America/Los_Angeles".
41 >>
42 >> --
43 >> Nicolas Litchinko
44 >> BOFH excuse #348:
45 >> We're on Token Ring, and it looks like the token got loose.
46 >> --
47 >> gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
51 > OK, I buy it. My setup was missing the underscore:
52 >
53 > dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/clock | grep TIMEZONE
54 > TIMEZONE="America/LosAngeles"
55 > dragonfly ~ #
56 >
57 > However time on the machine has been fine for the 2 years we've had
58 > the machine. Has this been wrong the whole time and I jsut got lucky
59 > or did someone possibly change the formatting?
60
61 Postulated sequence:
62 2 years ago, most probably, TIMEZONE="PST8PDT" was used.
63 All went well until a recent oops with etc-update or dispatch-conf, an
64 inadvertent CLOCK="UTC", which caused the clock to start keeping universal
65 time.
66 A similar problem discussed here reported a solution which included using
67 TIMEZONE="America/New_York" (I think, maybe America/Los_Angeles, maybe ...).
68 Having the same universal time problem, you adopted the geographic idea but
69 were then bitten by a typo.
70 Of note, the old TIMEZONE="EST5EDT" continues to work fine here.
73 > Thanks for the clarification!
74 >
75 > Cheers,
76 > Mark