From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:09:05
1 On Jan 17, 2008 2:15 AM, Nicolas Litchinko <nicolas@×××××××××.fr> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 05:37:21PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > On Jan 16, 2008 4:56 PM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 > > > Thus etc-update and/or dispatch-conf can't change localtime; but can change
7 > > > whether localtime runs or not.
8 > >
9 > > Humm...seems like what you say is true but doesn't explain how emerge
10 > > -DuN system changed the file. It was clearly changed since I could
11 > > look inside with vi and compare to the Los_Angeles file and see that
12 > > they were clearly different...
13 >
14 > There's a variable in /etc/conf.d/clock that controls whether or not
15 > /etc/localtime should be updated when a new version of
16 > sys-libs/timezone-data is merged: TIMEZONE. If this variable is set, the
17 > specified timezone data file is copied over /etc/localtime.
18 >
19 > as you can read in /etc/conf.d/clock:
20 > # Select the proper timezone. For valid values, peek inside of the
21 > # /usr/share/zoneinfo/ directory. For example, some common values are
22 > # "America/New_York" or "EST5EDT" or "Europe/Berlin". If you want to
23 > # manage /etc/localtime yourself, set this to "".
24 >
25 > If TIMEZONE is not set, /etc/localtime is not updated by
26 > sys-libs/timezone-data. However, if TIMEZONE is set to an invalid value,
27 > then /etc/localtime is overwritten by the "Factory" timezone data file.
28 >
29 > etc-update has probably changed the value of this variable after a
30 > baselayout update. Then a timezone-data update used the wrong value to
31 > update /etc/localtime. In your, case, the value of TIMEZONE should be
32 > TIMEZONE="America/Los_Angeles".
33 >
34 > --
35 > Nicolas Litchinko
36 > BOFH excuse #348:
37 > We're on Token Ring, and it looks like the token got loose.
38 > --
39 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
43 OK, I buy it. My setup was missing the underscore:
44
45 dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/conf.d/clock | grep TIMEZONE
46 TIMEZONE="America/LosAngeles"
47 dragonfly ~ #
48
49 However time on the machine has been fine for the 2 years we've had
50 the machine. Has this been wrong the whole time and I jsut got lucky
51 or did someone possibly change the formatting?
52
53 Thanks for the clarification!
54
55 Cheers,