From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: tmpfs help
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:27:48
1 2008/2/13, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
4 > 200802131346.26316.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
5 > on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:46:26 +0100:
6 >
7 > > On Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008, Duncan wrote:
8 > >>>removed lots of irrelevant 'my hardware is so cool' stuff'.
9 > >
10 > > You forget some (little) things. Not everything can be swapped out. Swap
11 > > is extremly slow AND it is much worse to swapout/swapin programm code
12 > > that should be run, instead of fetching some files from disk while the
13 > > programm runs.
14 >
15 > It's not always much worse, because as I explained, in my case, swap is 4-
16 > way striped while most of the main system is only two-way striped. Thus,
17 > that "irrelevant" stuff is relevant after all, because it alters the
18 > conditions of the case in debate, because swap reads in at ~2x the speed
19 > of most data read off disk including apps (which is itself ~2x what a
20 > single-disk system might reasonably expect).
21 >
22 > I've a feeling not appreciating this, not appreciating that your "test"
23 > case example of compiling with 2 gigs RAM vs only 1 has little to do with
24 > what might occur with PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs vs on disk, and not
25 > appreciating the point RF and I are both trying to make, is due to the
26 > same logic flaw.
29 well, for now, the fact for me are:
30 1. no ram upgrade is good -> notebook ram costs much more than desktop one
31 and the notebook itself has a limit
32 2. small packages, that have much update during the single days of the week
33 (i do sync once a day) get compiled at least 2-3 times faster than normal
34 compilation into disk space
35 3. big packages that usually compile in 30-40 mins now compile in about
36 10minutes or so faster. to see how it feels to use tmpfs for compilation i
37 have to upgrade kde. usually kde3 would build into 2 days of about 13 hours
38 compilation time each. i'll have to see how fast would kde4 build.
39 4. the sync now takes less than 2mins while normally it would take about
40 10mins.
41 i'll try out duncan's speedups for shm and but for the dev one i don't use
42 baselayout 2 and i'm still with the 1st version, since i don't feel like
43 upgrading to it yet. but i'd like to know some more about what are the
44 improvements of the second version.
45 5. as for the raid stuff i cannot do it since i've only got one disk. i'll
46 try to see what happens with swap set to 100.
47 6. if i use some other programs while compiling into tmpfs bigones i need to
48 nice the process or i'll get some misbehaviour from the other programs.
51 dott. ing. beso