From: Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: tmpfs help
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:12:45
1 Beso pisze:
4 > 2008/2/13, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net <mailto:1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>>:
5 >
6 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de
7 > <mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>> posted
8 > 200802131346.26316.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de
9 > <mailto:200802131346.26316.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>,
10 > excerpted below,
11 > on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:46:26 +0100:
12 >
13 > > On Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008, Duncan wrote:
14 > >>>removed lots of irrelevant 'my hardware is so cool' stuff'.
15 > >
16 > > You forget some (little) things. Not everything can be swapped
17 > out. Swap
18 > > is extremly slow AND it is much worse to swapout/swapin programm
19 > code
20 > > that should be run, instead of fetching some files from disk
21 > while the
22 > > programm runs.
23 >
24 > It's not always much worse, because as I explained, in my case,
25 > swap is 4-
26 > way striped while most of the main system is only two-way
27 > striped. Thus,
28 > that "irrelevant" stuff is relevant after all, because it alters the
29 > conditions of the case in debate, because swap reads in at ~2x the
30 > speed
31 > of most data read off disk including apps (which is itself ~2x what a
32 > single-disk system might reasonably expect).
33 >
34 > I've a feeling not appreciating this, not appreciating that your
35 > "test"
36 > case example of compiling with 2 gigs RAM vs only 1 has little to
37 > do with
38 > what might occur with PORTAGE_TMPDIR on tmpfs vs on disk, and not
39 > appreciating the point RF and I are both trying to make, is due to the
40 > same logic flaw.
43 > well, for now, the fact for me are:
44 > 1. no ram upgrade is good -> notebook ram costs much more than desktop
45 > one and the notebook itself has a limit
46 > 2. small packages, that have much update during the single days of the
47 > week (i do sync once a day) get compiled at least 2-3 times faster
48 > than normal compilation into disk space
49 > 3. big packages that usually compile in 30-40 mins now compile in
50 > about 10minutes or so faster. to see how it feels to use tmpfs for
51 > compilation i have to upgrade kde. usually kde3 would build into 2
52 > days of about 13 hours compilation time each. i'll have to see how
53 > fast would kde4 build.
54 > 4. the sync now takes less than 2mins while normally it would take
55 > about 10mins.
56 > i'll try out duncan's speedups for shm and but for the dev one i don't
57 > use baselayout 2 and i'm still with the 1st version, since i don't
58 > feel like upgrading to it yet. but i'd like to know some more about
59 > what are the improvements of the second version.
60 > 5. as for the raid stuff i cannot do it since i've only got one disk.
61 > i'll try to see what happens with swap set to 100.
62 > 6. if i use some other programs while compiling into tmpfs bigones i
63 > need to nice the process or i'll get some misbehaviour from the other
64 > programs.
65 >
66 > --
67 > dott. ing. beso
68 yeah! Notebooks limit's... My notebook have EM64T extension so it's 36
69 bit physical and 48 bit virtual address space for memory mappings - that
70 means I could insert more than 2 GB of memory ;). My notebook is
71 designed for 4GB.. is this not much? :> Half of my current linux
72 filesystem in memory (including /etc and /usr recursively) :D:D:D:D.
73 Sorry, but those limits are sick for normal usage of normal citizen
74 :D:D:D. I think about, what You said about memory for laptops... I have
75 DDR2 memory and it cost's same as normal DDR2 memory for standard PC -
76 thats how it works in poland - just You need to find right shop ;).
77
78 Greetings
79 Mateusz M.
80 --