From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:21:39
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560901221141g57061763y2cdb773058920241@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:41:18 +0100:
4
5 >> Not that anyone else necessarily needs to use my "everything portage
6 >> touches on one partition" strategy, but I certainly learned /my/
7 >> lesson, and don't intend on screwing /that/ one up here again. It's
8 >> worth considering, anyway. YMMV.
9 >>
10 > i really don't really understand how you could have had this issue if
11 > you'd mount the
12 > lvm partition at boot via fstab. it's most likely to not happen
13 > anything.
14
15 It seems I need to explain a bit further...
16
17 My triggering problem was that my A/C died, in Phoenix, AZ, in the
18 summer, where it's not unusual to see 45C/115F in the shade, but the
19 computer was left running in the hot house where the ambient air temp
20 likely hit 60C/140F, and the still-spinning disks would have easily hit
21 70C and may have been as high as 85C!
22
23 What happened was that under those conditions, the platter expanded such
24 that the heads were fully crashed, scratching grooves into it. Wherever
25 the heads moved while the disk was overheated like that, was very quickly
26 an unreadable mess!
27
28 Well, as alluded to previously, I had backup partitions of most
29 everything. They weren't mounted at the time and weren't read/written,
30 so didn't get grooved out and survived pretty much intact.
31
32 The problem was that I ended up with a mix of some "current" partitions
33 and some backup partitions and a package database that wasn't at all in
34 sync with what was actually on disk. What was on disk was still
35 operational, and I actually ran the disks for some time (after getting a
36 new A/C and cooling everything off, obviously) without a problem with
37 further data loss, but as I said previously, I learned my lesson. Now,
38 everything portage touches including the database it keeps track of it
39 all in is on the same partition, so if for whatever reason I have to
40 revert to the backups, the older snapshot is consistently the same age,
41 and the package database remains in sync with what's actually running.
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman