From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable fsck on boot, was: How to make watchdog start earlier during bootup?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:41:21
1 2009/1/22 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
3 > d257c3560901221103l4f11f220mc9f2b7598f7c3413@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:03:55 +0100:
5 >
6 >> as for the / i'm considering using / + /boot on a usb disk (nowadays
7 >> booting from usb devices is no pain) and would prevent me from
8 >> exposing ciphered luks data. it's true that loosing the key would
9 >> mean a total disaster, but it's simpler to have 2-3 2gb usb keys (which
10 >> mean about 20-30€) as root and have an entire luks+raided partition.
11 >
12 > Something I found out the hard way, and why I have everything that
13 > portage touches on the same partition, is the trouble one goes thru when
14 > the /var/db/pkg database doesn't match what's actually installed, due to
15 > say /, /usr, and /var being on different partitions/volumes, then losing
16 > one and having to revert to a backup, while still having the others at
17 > "current".
18 >
19 i'm using /var/ mounted on a lvm2 partition and never had any issues
20 with it. this is due
21 to the fact that /var and /usr is mounted right after dm-crypt+lvm2
22 have started, and if the mount
23 fails then i have services not starting since the /var on the /
24 partition is not available for
25 services to write in it.
26
27 > So here, that's all on the same partition. I break off /usr/src,
28 > /usr/local and /var/log, and have the Gentoo tree living somewhere other
29 > than on /usr as well, but anything that portage touches including its
30 > database is all on the same partition, so it all stays in sync if I have
31 > to revert to a backup.
32 >
33 /usr also is mounted on another lvm2 partition (this helped me a lot
34 with oracle and
35 kde installations) but i had to do some hacks since actually i need
36 some /usr/lib/ files
37 at boot on the / partition before lvm2 is started and this is really a
38 bug, since
39 the /usr shouldn't be read at startup.
40
41 > When I setup this system, since / and its backup are not in LVM, I wanted
42 > to give them even more room for growth than I thought I'd need, so I
43 > doubled what I was using for growth, and then nearly doubled that again,
44 > 10 gig partition size. I currently have both kde3 and kde4 installed so
45 > am running rather more than I would otherwise, but I'm running 4.3 gig
46 > on /. So a 4 gig USB stick would do it in most cases, an 8-gig stick
47 > would be plenty and to spare, but a 2 gig stick wouldn't cut it.
48 >
49 with everything stripped from / i found out that it requires less than
50 a 2gb disk.
51 and i really think that you could move out /usr/kde to an lvm
52 partition since it
53 would be mounted (if fstab knows about it) before xorg is started. the problem
54 with my configuration is that you'd have sometimes to reboot on a lvm2
55 capable environment
56 to resize /usr or /var if something is on use (/var could be resized
57 after shutting down
58 all processes accessing it, but i think it's faster to boot in a
59 simple stripped down terminal
60 distro with lvm2 capabilities to have it resized. what i'm now
61 considering is moving
62 from rsync to git for the backup (this would help me out understanding
63 more into detail git).
64
65 > Not that anyone else necessarily needs to use my "everything portage
66 > touches on one partition" strategy, but I certainly learned /my/ lesson,
67 > and don't intend on screwing /that/ one up here again. It's worth
68 > considering, anyway. YMMV.
69 >
70 i really don't really understand how you could have had this issue if
71 you'd mount the
72 lvm partition at boot via fstab. it's most likely to not happen anything.
75 dott. ing. beso