From: Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Some weird issues with portage
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:57:21
1 On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Tonko Mulder" <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
3 > 43ba12950811190150s1a8ea692ld30246ed60c07999@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:50:59 +0100:
5 >
6 >> I have a weird problem with portage.
7 >> I tried to install pan and I got the following error
8 >>
9 >> tonko@Gaius ~/dev/repo/portage $ sudo emerge pan -avq [ebuild NS ]
10 >> dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23 [2.4.2] USE="mono -debug -doc" [ebuild N ]
11 >> net-nntp/pan-0.133 USE="spell"
12 >>
13 >> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
14 >>>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
15 >>>>> Starting parallel fetch
16 >>>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23 Installing
17 >>>>> dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23
18 >>>>> Jobs: 0 of 2 complete Load avg: 3.67, 2.22,
19 >>>>> 1.64/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so.0 is empty, not
20 >>>>> checked.
21 >> /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so is empty, not checked.
22 >> /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so.0.0.0 is empty, not
23 >> checked.
24 >
25 > This looks very strange to me. Empty shared-object libs?
26 >
27 > FWIW, I have gmime-2.2.23 (only, no 2.4.x) merged here, with USE=-mono,
28 > and equery b libemeraldengine.so returns nothing, so those
29 > libemeraldengine.so* files must be mono related.
30 >
31 It's not just pan/gmime, it's for every ebuild.
32 I now also get 'compiler cannot create executable' and I forgot what
33 the solution for that was.
34 > I don't know why you have the mono USE flag on for gmime, presumably
35 > something you have merged needs it for the gmime 2.4 slot, since I don't
36 > see it turned on in your USE flags, and you have it in package.use for
37 > gmime (or maybe it's on for your profile). Regardless, the gmime-2.2.23
38 > package (slot 0) is being merged new-slot for pan specifically, and I
39 > know for a fact that it doesn't use it (I'm a long-time regular over on
40 > the pan lists), so you could turn it off for slot-0. If you already have
41 > an entry in package.use for it, try limiting it to dev-libs/gmime:2.4 .
42 >
43 > dev-libs/gmime:2.4 mono
44 >
45 > If you don't, either turn it off globally (but that may not work well if
46 > you need it for other packages, I don't run GNOME but I believe it's
47 > needed for parts of it), or add a package.use entry turning it off for
48 > dev-libs/gmime:0 .
49 >
50 > dev-libs/gmime:0 -mono
51 >
52 > Meanwhile, I don't know if that's the problem or not, only that empty
53 > *.so* files look rather suspicious, and that I have gmime-2.2.23 build
54 > -mono here and it works fine for pan.
55 >
56 >>>>> Emerging (2 of 2) net-nntp/pan-0.133
57 >>>>> Installing net-nntp/pan-0.133
58 >>>>> Jobs: 1 of 2 complete Load avg: 4.05, 3.16,
59 >>>>> 2.11
60 >> Traceback (most recent call last):
61 >> File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 18, in <module> [snip]
62 >> My knowledge of python isn't that great, so any help is appreciated.
63 >
64 > I don't know python well, but I do know that emerge should not be
65 > aborting with a traceback. The portage guys put a lot of effort into
66 > catching any problems they know about and making them spit out errors in
67 > "English", so any time a traceback occurs in portage/emerge, it indicates
68 > a serious problem with it that they didn't foresee, and it's bug time!
69 > Of course, you (like me) are running a ~arch version of portage (2.2 is
70 > still in -rcs and hasn't hit stable yet), so there /are/ going to be bugs
71 > of this sort they haven't caught just yet. I'd file a portage bug on it
72 > and let the portage guys sort it out. You'll want to attach the log file
73 > (if it hadn't done the traceback and it errored out, it would have told
74 > you where, you probably know tho) as well.
75 >
76 > Also, it looks like gmime merged fine (if those libemeraldengine warnings
77 > don't indicate it's broken, but it still merged), did you try running the
78 > merge again? It should now be just pan. Maybe it'll merge. Anyway, try
79 > it, possibly without the parallel-merge options (--jobs --load-average)
80 > so you can see the output and where it fails. Or... that'll be in the
81 > log mentioned above.
82 >
83 > There may or may not also be a pan bug. It's a bit difficult to tell
84 > without the log, which doesn't show up on screen when you're parallel
85 > merging because several would be jumbled together. Portage would
86 > normally spit it out at the end if there was a problem, but not when
87 > emerge itself crashes as it did here.
88 >
89 >> emerge --info www.xs4all.nl/~mtonko/emerge.info
90 >
91 > BTW, far be it from me to tell you not to do it as I've rather customized
92 > my system layout as well, but I gotta ask, if only to satisfy my own
93 > curiosity... /dev is normally for devices and will in most cases be udev/
94 > tmpfs based. /dev/repo/portage? I'd love to know the story behind that.
95 >
96 I don't see that path in my emerge --info, but FYI the full path is
97 ~/dev/repo/portage and it's my git based portage tree (testing) by
98 Daniel Robbins.
99 > Second-to-last thing, I see you're running the gnome overlay. As I said,
100 > I don't do GNOME (KDE's more my style, 3.5 as the 4.x series just isn't
101 > ready for me yet) so I haven't any idea of its status or what it might
102 > conflict with. Pan doesn't require GNOME, only GTK+, but particularly if
103 > you are running overlay GTK+ builds as well it's quite possible there's
104 > some sort of conflict there. Again, the emerge log may have provided
105 > some clue (or may not have), but you didn't post it so it's kind of hard
106 > to say.
107 >
108 I'll try to remove the overlay and see how it goes :)
109 > Finally, come over and visit us (or better yet, become a regular) on the
110 > pan lists! See the pan website (
111 > http://pan.rebelbase.com ) for more info. Once you get it installed and
112 > running there's some non-obvious "advanced" tweaks possible, some only by
113 > directly editing the config files. I'm personally quite an enthusiastic
114 > pan booster myself, and of course am a Gentoo/~amd64 user too, but since
115 > I don't do GNOME, my knowledge is limited in that area. But there are
116 > others who can help there, tho most aren't Gentoo users.
117 >
118 I'm subscribed to the list as of today :)
119 > --
120 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
121 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
122 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
130 Tonko