From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Some weird issues with portage
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:40:41
1 "Tonko Mulder" <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 43ba12950811190150s1a8ea692ld30246ed60c07999@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:50:59 +0100:
4
5 > I have a weird problem with portage.
6 > I tried to install pan and I got the following error
7 >
8 > tonko@Gaius ~/dev/repo/portage $ sudo emerge pan -avq [ebuild NS ]
9 > dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23 [2.4.2] USE="mono -debug -doc" [ebuild N ]
10 > net-nntp/pan-0.133 USE="spell"
11 >
12 > Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
13 >>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
14 >>>> Starting parallel fetch
15 >>>> Emerging (1 of 2) dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23 Installing
16 >>>> dev-libs/gmime-2.2.23
17 >>>> Jobs: 0 of 2 complete Load avg: 3.67, 2.22,
18 >>>> 1.64/sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so.0 is empty, not
19 >>>> checked.
20 > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so is empty, not checked.
21 > /sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libemeraldengine.so.0.0.0 is empty, not
22 > checked.
23
24 This looks very strange to me. Empty shared-object libs?
25
26 FWIW, I have gmime-2.2.23 (only, no 2.4.x) merged here, with USE=-mono,
27 and equery b libemeraldengine.so returns nothing, so those
28 libemeraldengine.so* files must be mono related.
29
30 I don't know why you have the mono USE flag on for gmime, presumably
31 something you have merged needs it for the gmime 2.4 slot, since I don't
32 see it turned on in your USE flags, and you have it in package.use for
33 gmime (or maybe it's on for your profile). Regardless, the gmime-2.2.23
34 package (slot 0) is being merged new-slot for pan specifically, and I
35 know for a fact that it doesn't use it (I'm a long-time regular over on
36 the pan lists), so you could turn it off for slot-0. If you already have
37 an entry in package.use for it, try limiting it to dev-libs/gmime:2.4 .
38
39 dev-libs/gmime:2.4 mono
40
41 If you don't, either turn it off globally (but that may not work well if
42 you need it for other packages, I don't run GNOME but I believe it's
43 needed for parts of it), or add a package.use entry turning it off for
44 dev-libs/gmime:0 .
45
46 dev-libs/gmime:0 -mono
47
48 Meanwhile, I don't know if that's the problem or not, only that empty
49 *.so* files look rather suspicious, and that I have gmime-2.2.23 build
50 -mono here and it works fine for pan.
51
52 >>>> Emerging (2 of 2) net-nntp/pan-0.133
53 >>>> Installing net-nntp/pan-0.133
54 >>>> Jobs: 1 of 2 complete Load avg: 4.05, 3.16,
55 >>>> 2.11
56 > Traceback (most recent call last):
57 > File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 18, in <module> [snip]
58 > My knowledge of python isn't that great, so any help is appreciated.
59
60 I don't know python well, but I do know that emerge should not be
61 aborting with a traceback. The portage guys put a lot of effort into
62 catching any problems they know about and making them spit out errors in
63 "English", so any time a traceback occurs in portage/emerge, it indicates
64 a serious problem with it that they didn't foresee, and it's bug time!
65 Of course, you (like me) are running a ~arch version of portage (2.2 is
66 still in -rcs and hasn't hit stable yet), so there /are/ going to be bugs
67 of this sort they haven't caught just yet. I'd file a portage bug on it
68 and let the portage guys sort it out. You'll want to attach the log file
69 (if it hadn't done the traceback and it errored out, it would have told
70 you where, you probably know tho) as well.
71
72 Also, it looks like gmime merged fine (if those libemeraldengine warnings
73 don't indicate it's broken, but it still merged), did you try running the
74 merge again? It should now be just pan. Maybe it'll merge. Anyway, try
75 it, possibly without the parallel-merge options (--jobs --load-average)
76 so you can see the output and where it fails. Or... that'll be in the
77 log mentioned above.
78
79 There may or may not also be a pan bug. It's a bit difficult to tell
80 without the log, which doesn't show up on screen when you're parallel
81 merging because several would be jumbled together. Portage would
82 normally spit it out at the end if there was a problem, but not when
83 emerge itself crashes as it did here.
84
85 > emerge --info www.xs4all.nl/~mtonko/emerge.info
86
87 BTW, far be it from me to tell you not to do it as I've rather customized
88 my system layout as well, but I gotta ask, if only to satisfy my own
89 curiosity... /dev is normally for devices and will in most cases be udev/
90 tmpfs based. /dev/repo/portage? I'd love to know the story behind that.
91
92 Second-to-last thing, I see you're running the gnome overlay. As I said,
93 I don't do GNOME (KDE's more my style, 3.5 as the 4.x series just isn't
94 ready for me yet) so I haven't any idea of its status or what it might
95 conflict with. Pan doesn't require GNOME, only GTK+, but particularly if
96 you are running overlay GTK+ builds as well it's quite possible there's
97 some sort of conflict there. Again, the emerge log may have provided
98 some clue (or may not have), but you didn't post it so it's kind of hard
99 to say.
100
101 Finally, come over and visit us (or better yet, become a regular) on the
102 pan lists! See the pan website (
103 http://pan.rebelbase.com ) for more info. Once you get it installed and
104 running there's some non-obvious "advanced" tweaks possible, some only by
105 directly editing the config files. I'm personally quite an enthusiastic
106 pan booster myself, and of course am a Gentoo/~amd64 user too, but since
107 I don't do GNOME, my knowledge is limited in that area. But there are
108 others who can help there, tho most aren't Gentoo users.
113 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman